A new "my kid had a shot with no serious reaction" celebration thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

8Likes

#61 of 69 Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Great news.

My daughter was playing with her doll this morning and telling her about how she needed to get he flu shot to protect her from getting sick in the winter! I guess my simplified explanation of the vaccines got remembered.
teacozy likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences). Vaccines save lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 69 Old 10-30-2015, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Both of mine got the flu vaccine today (nasal spray). Nurse checked carefully if they had any allergies, we're feeling well, or if they were likely to meet and people with severely compromised immune systems before administering.

All fine now at bedtime. The younger was a bit flushed earlier, but no fever (and he was running around).

All free thanks to the NHS also. I'm due to get mine (through work) next week.
teacozy and Jessica765 like this.
#63 of 69 Old 10-31-2015, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Quoted: 2980 Post(s)
Sorry, have forgotten to update on here!

My son got the flu shot last month while my daughter got her 4 month round of vaccines per the CDC schedule. No reactions from either of the kids. The baby didn't even get a fever or redness from her 2 mont or 4 month vaccines. She is meeting and exceeding her milestones, in fact Rolling over, laughing, constantly smiling, and already trying to push off and crawl (not there quite yet but she's trying!)
devilish and Jessica765 like this.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

I'm a mom to two great kids and a wife to an amazing husband
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm also proudly #teamvax
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by teacozy; 01-18-2016 at 11:02 AM.
#64 of 69 Old 10-31-2015, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
Sorry, have forgotten to update on here!

My son got the flu shot last month while my daughter got her 4 month round of vaccines per the CDC schedule. No reactions from either of the kids. The baby didn't even get a fever or redness from her 2 mont or 4 month vaccines. She is meeting and exceeding her milestones, in fact Rolling over, laughing, constantly smiling, and already trying to push off and crawl (not there quite yet but she's trying!)

I think she's pretty stinkin cute (not that I'm biased or anything )
Not biased at all, she's adorable!
teacozy likes this.
#65 of 69 Old 11-01-2015, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds completely adorable to me.
teacozy likes this.
#66 of 69 Old 11-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Flu shots last Monday for both kids. No reaction other than a sore arm for a couple of hours.

Whenever we go in for vaccinations, I explain to them (pretty simply) how vaccinations and antibodies work, and they always seem really interested. This time my 5-year-old asked me how scientists figured out vaccines. I deferred because they called us in for our shots (and because I could use a refresher on the specifics), and I have yet to get back to her. If anyone knows of a kid-friendly video or something about vaccination or the history of vaccination, let me know.

ETA that @teacozy 's baby is THE CUTEST THING EVER.
#67 of 69 Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica765 View Post
Flu shots last Monday for both kids. No reaction other than a sore arm for a couple of hours.

Whenever we go in for vaccinations, I explain to them (pretty simply) how vaccinations and antibodies work, and they always seem really interested. This time my 5-year-old asked me how scientists figured out vaccines. I deferred because they called us in for our shots (and because I could use a refresher on the specifics), and I have yet to get back to her. If anyone knows of a kid-friendly video or something about vaccination or the history of vaccination, let me know.

ETA that @teacozy 's baby is THE CUTEST THING EVER.
Thank you! <3

I came across this fun little video that explains vaccines and the immune system. Not sure if a 5 year old would get it but here is the link

Jessica765 likes this.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

#68 of 69 Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Got my flu shot today. My arms a little sore, but nothing major.

I got it from occupational health at work and I was very impressed with the care they took to make sure I was giving my informed consent. They made me sit and read a list of rare possible side effects before proceeding.

The irony is I hate needles. I have to look away. I get tense and feel nauseous thinking about it. Funny huh! So I'm really relieved that's over for another year.
#69 of 69 Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 AM

My baby got her 6 month vaccines last week (including the first dose of the flu shot).

She developed a fever that fluctuated from 101 to 102 degrees (about 38 celsius for the non American folks) the next morning. It was completely gone by the time my husband got home from work and she's been totally fine since. No rashes or other reactions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page