A new "my kid had a shot with no serious reaction" celebration thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

I'm not sure we're allowed to post in "Selective and Delayed" anymore, and a bunch of relevent threads ended up getting left over there when this forum was set up. 

One was the "my kid had a shot" celebration thread - a place to celebrate the successful getting through of vaccinations with no serious reactions, as experienced by most people who vaccinate kids, but as rarely discussed online. 

So I thought I'd start a new thread here. The old one in "Selective and Delayed" is at http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1373531/the-my-kid-just-had-a-shot-celebration-thread

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Started the thread, because to my surprise we got another vaccination. The NHS is rolling out flumist vaccination to all 2-3 year olds (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/child-flu-vaccine.aspx).

My son is in this age group, so we went for flumist yesterday. Was great to get this without any needles - he found the spray up his nose a bit wierd, but clearly didn't hurt him. So far no reaction - a slight runny nose this morning, but I have a cold, and it's cold season, so may not be related. :) 

I like that the rest of the family may be slightly exposed to the weaker flu virus through this vaccination too. Our daughter may get the vaccination soon as well.  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 58 Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay! DS had Flumist vaccine as well, and made a great face when it shot up his nose. :rotflmaoI got a Hep B booster, Hep A (recommended by the CDC for our Christmas trip to the Caribbean), and the Flumist before I found out I was pregnant. No reactions all around!

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#4 of 58 Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)

Love this thread! My son got all his recommended vaccines at both his 12 and 15 month appointment. I know it included MMR/hib/chickenpox and he did great. No reactions other than a slight fever, which I was glad about. It means he was having an immune response to the vaccine... working as intended! 

He is getting all his 18 month shots next week and am not worried in the least :) 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#5 of 58 Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I started the old thread! But I likely won't be posting in it regularly anymore, since my son won't be getting many routine vaccinations again until he is 4. We usually get the flu shot; haven't gotten around to it this year yet.

He, however, had the full round of infant vaccinations with no serious reaction, or actually, no discernable reaction at all. No fever, no tiredness, no crankiness, not even any redness around the area for more than a few hours. At six months, he didn't even cry while he was getting the shot, and he watched it go in. While I know it's a bigger deal for many kids, it can be this easy.

#6 of 58 Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby had his 2 month shots last week... and this week started laughing.
#7 of 58 Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 AM

We are very slowly catching up. DS is now "event free" for two years, meaning no encephalitis or meningitis or encephalomyelitis (he has MDEM). It is now safe to vaccinate. He had his chickenpox vaccine (UK doesn't do it, he received his in Germany a few weeks ago while on holiday). No side effects. 

Next will be flushot on Tuesday, though I dread the Dr Office and the mingling of healthy and sick people. Will be taking antiseptic and have him touch nothing and no-one. He has picked up nasty stuff in Dr Offices before that resulted in hospitalisation. 

For him, receiving his shots will be HUGE. My big kids, DH and I are all up to date with everything, it is just him now.

Have to say, I am anxious, but not anywhere near as anxious as I am when he has a common cold. 

I am now 34 weeks pregnant and will get my whooping cough vaccine on Tuesday which I am very grateful for. Whooping cough is nasty! Hope it protects baby well enough. DS hasn't had it yet, and he goes to school, so I am scared he would bring it back one day as whooping cough is flaring up in this area in unvaccinated children. 

#8 of 58 Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck with it all EineMutti. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I'm sure getting safely through the vaccines will be a great relief. :) 

#9 of 58 Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 AM

He had his flushot. They were not comfortable giving him the mist which is fine by me. No reactions at all, apart from a wee bit of a sore arm. Whole family had it done!

#10 of 58 Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not my kid but me- I got a flu shot last week. The spot was sore for a few hours and then was fine. Here's to hoping they got the strains right this year wink1.gif

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#11 of 58 Old 11-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Not my kid but me- I got a flu shot last week. The spot was sore for a few hours and then was fine. Here's to hoping they got the strains right this year wink1.gif

Yeah, let's! Day five. No reaction in any of us. For DS, this has so far been the healthiest October and November since his birth. And that is with vaccines! 

#12 of 58 Old 11-24-2013, 09:00 PM

My daughter had her first flu shot on Friday. I'm only irked that I couldn't find the nasal mist for her. I could have moved heaven and earth but I just don't have that kind of bandwidth right now, so I got the shot for her instead. She barely cried at all. The flavored tongue depressors at the doctor's office take the edge off a lot of things. No signs of any reaction. 

#13 of 58 Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 AM

My son got his flu shot a couple weeks ago and he cried for about 4 seconds and then forgot about it after they gave him a sticker :)  No reactions whatsoever. Not even crankiness or fever. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#14 of 58 Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM

I got my flu shot and TDaP a week ago. My arms were sore that night. That's it!
#15 of 58 Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 AM

My son got his DTAP Polio Hep B and Prevnar last week.  He didn't have any sort of reaction other than a small knot at the injection site.  This week he started walking full-time!

#16 of 58 Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Daughter got flu shot on Tuesday. I was hoping for flumist but they preferred the shot. No serious reaction - no fever - she complained of a sore arm for a couple of days.

They said she should go back for a second shot in 6 weeks as this is first time she had one as far as they know. I'm being lazy asking this here and will research properly, but..... She got one at 1 yr in USA. Does that mean second shot now not needed? Any opinions?

#17 of 58 Old 11-29-2013, 01:14 PM

My understanding is that they need to have 2 a month apart in the first year, and if they don't, then they are supposed to get 2 a month apart in some subsequent year. This applies up to the age of 9. 

I don't know what your guideline is in the UK though. 

#18 of 58 Old 11-29-2013, 02:42 PM

DS just turned 8 and had his last week. We haven't been told to come back at all???

#19 of 58 Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Has he had 2 in a year in some past year? Do you have that guideline over there?

#20 of 58 Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 AM

I never thought I would post here but I gave my 3 year old a Daptacel (DTaP) this week in anticipation of a newborn, after deep consideration & discussion with several providers.

He *was* irritable & it is weird how it seemed slightly nueroactive. However, I had to look up if it is even doing anything if there is no fever or swelling @ all. (Answer seemed to be yes & that BF babies are less likely to have a fever reaction, he is still occasionally BF).

I was very nervous, especially considering recent DTaP press & also press that Vaxes can actually be more reactive later in life. However, ultimately I concluded that an asymptomatic carrier is better than a symptomatic carrier in a situation, like a family, where quarantine is impossible . . .

In any case, MUCH less eventful than I had feared & he seems now, a few days out, to be the 'same old G'. He was pretty mad @ me tho! lol.gif
#21 of 58 Old 11-30-2013, 07:00 PM

Congrats on an uneventful shot!  I (obviously) think it was a good idea to go ahead and vaccinate.  It would be fun if we had some real data looking at infectiousness in vaccinated vs. unvaccinated people.  I'm excited to see the full text of the baboon study and will try to get it when it's in print.  But from what I've seen from modelling studies (that incorporate real data), it does look like 1. vaccination decreases infectiousness, 2. asymptomatic people are less infectious than atypical or symptomatic people and 3. cocooning is still the most effective strategy.

#22 of 58 Old 11-30-2013, 08:40 PM

So glad to hear that your son had a mild reaction to the vaccine!  I, too, obviously think you made the right choice.  I also think it seems like common sense that a person who is coughing all day long is much more likely to spread whooping cough than a person who has very few/no coughing symptoms.  Time will tell. 

Again, welcome to the "my kid a shot with no serious reaction" club :) 

#23 of 58 Old 11-30-2013, 09:05 PM

I am ROFL @ all the 'obviously'. I definitely know where certain posters stand, but aside from say Teacozy & TaxiMom, I can't keep track of every poster's exact nuanced view on here! So it wasn't obvious to me . . . <3
#24 of 58 Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM

I think they meant it was obvious that the regular posters here are in favor of vaxing on schedule. :wink Anyway, glad to hear he has handled the shot well.

I imagine some irritability, in some cases anyway, is probably "ouch, my leg is sore". Though we've never even had that level of a response, so I don't know. 

#25 of 58 Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Glad it went fine, Dinahx! Scotches all around.
#26 of 58 Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 AM

Dina, did your doc say anything about how she got Daptacel? Ours told us they only get 10 shots/month until the shortage is over and they reserve them for infants so we get none. Btw neither of my kids reacted to their first DTaP. For DS it was the second one. DD is supposed to get her second and DS his last and third (then off to checking titers).

Neither of them reacted in any obvious way to HiB nor Ipol. I think those two are really unreactive. DS had no reaction to MMR, I think if DD had been 4 or older she wouldn't have had any either.

#27 of 58 Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

No, they didn't. Based on some of the posts on here I did ask to see the actual vial tho. Sure enough: it was Daptacel. I also got Adacel for myself . . . We are on the West Coast, IDK if that makes a difference? Also @ my practice doctors don't actually get very involved in Vax, beyond a 'you should do them, on schedule'. Parents call & schedule with the RNs/CMAs for the actual admin . . .
#28 of 58 Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Today it was my turn to get a shot. And I managed to get one without a huge headache! I feel like all I've been doing lately is trying to track down the vaccines I want. My midwife's office doesn't have Tdap. They suggested I call my PCP. I called them and they were like "Well, you got that shot in 2011" and I tried to explain to the nurse that I need it again because I'm pregnant. (And it was a different nurse than I always deal with. I am slightly paranoid that they are so sick of me and my 8 zillion vaccine questions that they shunted me off to somebody different.) I thought I couldn't get it covered by my insurance at the pharmacy where I work, but the other pharmacist ran it through and it turns out I was wrong; he did get it to go through and gave me the vaccination. I feel fine. Arm's not even sore. And that gives me one less issue to deal with. Yay!

#29 of 58 Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 AM

DS got his 4 year old vaccines last week MMR+Varicella and DTaP+Polio. No reactions, and I was relieved that they could do it in 2 pokes instead of 4, AND we're done (save yearly flu vaccine) for a while! 

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#30 of 58 Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM

I haven't been on MDC in forever, but now that there's a vax on schedule forum, I might have to come back (at least for this!)

Our 4 are 12, 8, 5, and 3, vaxed on schedule, including yearly flu shots and HPV.  We've never had anything worse than some mild soreness at the injection site.  Dh and I also had our DTAP boosters after our son was born, no problems.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page