Vaccines Don't Cause Autism: Healthcare triage #12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)

This new video is being spread around and I think it does a great job of explaining the evidence against the idea that vaccines are the cause of autism.  It's a little under 8 minutes long and definitely worth your time, especially for those who may be on the fence or are just starting out their research. 

What do you guys think about the video?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good info.

I think Arthur Allen's book Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver is a must-read for anyone who wants to dig deeper.

Panic Virus by Seth Mnookin is good, too, but I skipped quite a few chapters of that because he used a lot of material that Allen had already covered. Mnookin wrote more than Allen about  current issues like autism, Wakefield, and how Simpsonwood came to be perceived as the smoking gun in the thimerosal controversy.

teacozy likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Great resources. We all need a little reassurance. I pride myself that I know the facts pretty well, and intellectually I know there's no need to worry, but I remember the niggling "what ifs" I had to keep suppressing when it came time for especially the MMR vaccine.
teacozy likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Great resources. We all need a little reassurance. I pride myself that I know the facts pretty well, and intellectually I know there's no need to worry, but I remember the niggling "what ifs" I had to keep suppressing when it came time for especially the MMR vaccine.

I'm always a little nervous about vaccine appointments even though intellectually I'm very comfortable with my choices.

I've resorted to keeping a health journal for my son, to keep track of things I notice. I started doing it when he had a little infection that turned into an abscess, and they asked me how long it had been there and I couldn't remember if it was 2 days or 3... so now I write down things like that. I record when I notice a problem, whether it gets better or worse, how I measure improvement, etc. Oh yeah, and I write down my feelings about it! Because I'm a little fearful and paranoid , so it keeps me calm.

The journaling really helps to comfort me before/after he gets shots.That's usually when I reaffirm my research. It makes it easier to avoid jumping to the "what ifs" and focus just on what's happening now.

prosciencemum likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I have journals for both my kids too. One of the best pre-baby bits of advice I was given. Always reassuring, and has helped doctors take me seriously about worries I've had too. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page