Unique Portraits of Child Meningitis Survivors - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/unique-portraits-of-child-meningitis-survivors-244606341.html

Quote:

INTERNATIONAL photographer and artist Anne Geddes invites us to take a fresh look at disability, with three new thought-provoking portraits of UK children who have lost limbs to meningitis.

Amber Travers (5), Ellie-May Challis (9), and Harvey Parry (8) will appear, alongside their families and other children affected by the disease from around the world, in a new e-book for the Protecting Our Tomorrows campaign, to be launched on World Meningitis Day, 24 April 2014.

The project makes use of Anne's famous photographic skills to capture the beauty and innocence of childhood with the dreadful impact of meningitis in a way which is both compelling and unsentimental.

Anne said: "As a mother and passionate advocate of children, I want to empower parents to understand meningitis and know how best to protect their children. You only need to look at Amber, Ellie and Harvey to understand the impact of this devastating disease. It really would be your worst nightmare to see any child go through such an ordeal.

"But at the same time, these children and their families are overcoming huge obstacles to rebuild their lives and these beautiful pictures capture their strength in the face of adversity."

Amber, who lost her arms and legs after contracting the disease aged two, was the youngest child to be photographed and appears alongside her sister Jade, aged eight. Ellie-May Challis lost her lower legs and arms at 16 months and is photographed with her twin sister Sophie. Harvey lost both his legs and part of his hands just one week after starting to walk, and is now a successful athlete running on blades.

Protecting Our Tomorrows is a global campaign, led by the Confederation of Meningitis Organisations (CoMO) and supported in the UK by Meningitis Now, Meningitis Research Foundation and Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Limited. Through the use of thought-provoking and inspiring photographs captured by campaign ambassador Anne Geddes, the project will highlight the impact that this sudden, aggressive disease can have on survivors and families.

Bacterial meningitis is the leading infectious killer in children under five[1] and strikes 3,400 people every year in the UK[2]. The majority of these cases are caused by Meningitis B, which accounts for around 55% of all bacterial meningitis and septicaemia cases. Up to one in ten of those who contract meningitis will die[3] and many survivors are left with life-long after-effects, including amputations[4]. Vaccination is the most effective way to prevent and control bacterial meningitis,[5] however children in the UK are not routinely protected against all types.

Commenting jointly on the campaign, Meningitis Now and Meningitis Research Foundation said: "Anne Geddes has delivered a unique and creative approach to a disease we have spent years fighting. Too many children face death and disability from meningitis every year. We hope these stunning portraits will raise awareness of the disease, its symptoms and the impact it has on thousands of families every year."

In addition to Amber, Ellie-May and Harvey, children from Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland and Spain will also feature in the e-book.

#2 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Thank you for sharing those pictures!  I posted about this photographer on here before, but I hadn't seen these pictures :) 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1393173/protecting-our-tomorrows-portraits-of-meningococcal-disease  is the other thread on the topic.  (No one responded, but there is a short video about photographing one of the little girls) 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#3 of 6 Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Very beautiful and very sad at the same time.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 6 Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which Vax covers this? Is it Hib? Or PC? Or the one we don't Vax for in children?
#5 of 6 Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My family lost my uncle and my maternal grandmother to meningitis.  They actually died in the days before penicillin, or at least before it became produced on any commercial level. I don't know if they had the kind that was treatable by antibiotics or not, however. I think my uncle might have had the viral kind, from something my aunt told me, although she may have been saying spinal. He was around 17 when he died. 

So it sounds like the limb loss came from meningococcal disease, which can present as septicemia, meningitis, or both. 

#6 of 6 Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I posted this to my facebook yesterday, very lovely and moving photographs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page