Measles vaccine under 12 mos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the INV thread I noticed measles was being discussed and someone mentioned parents in areas where there are current outbreaks panicking and wanting young babies (4 mos or so) to be vaccinated with MMR.

I understand that it's mainly the efficacy concerns and not safety concerns that are the reason for the delay for MMR to 15 mos. Maternal antibodies can fight the vaccine virus, and interfere with the production of antibodies in younger babies.

The vaccine insert says this:

Infants Between 6 to 12 Months of Age
Local health authorities may recommend measles vaccination of infants between 6 to 12 months of age in outbreak situations. This population may fail to respond to the components of the vaccine. Safety and effectiveness of mumps and rubella vaccine in infants less than 12 months of age have not been established. The younger the infant, the lower the likelihood of seroconversion (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY). Such infants should receive a second dose of M-M-R II between 12 to 15 months of age followed by revaccination at elementary school entry.
Unnecessary doses of a vaccine are best avoided by ensuring that written documentation ofvaccination is preserved and a copy given to each vaccinee's parent or guardian."

Does anyone know more about this? Is there a safety issue?

Know any examples where children under 12 mos have been immunized during outbreaks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Might be worth looking at the welsh outbreak from couple of years ago.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss834 View Post

Does anyone know more about this? Is there a safety issue?

Know any examples where children under 12 mos have been immunized during outbreaks?

Unfortunately, I don't. 

I'd ask my pediatrician but if there was an outbreak in my area I'd probably go ahead and try the MMR if my pediatrician recommended it. 

I'm pretty certain I've read that the likelihood of a child developing SSPE increases if they got measles under a year old.   It goes from about 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 3,000 for a child who develops measles under 12 months IIRC. 

Those numbers are way too high for my comfort level. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#4 of 5 Old 03-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)

Actually, I was off by a bit.   Here is what the CDC says: 

"Analysis of data from an outbreak of measles in the United States during 1989-1991 suggests a rate of 4-11 cases of SSPE per 100,000 cases of measles. A risk factor for developing this disease is measles infection at an early age. Studies in the United Kingdom indicate that 18 out of every 100,000 people who get measles when they are less than a year old will develop SSPE. "  http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

So 1 out of 5,500 ish who get measles under the age of 1 will develop SSPE. 

Still too risky for me. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#5 of 5 Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

So 1 out of 5,500 ish who get measles under the age of 1 will develop SSPE. 

Still too risky for me. 

I agree, that's a big risk!

I didn't know age made such a difference. I've always heard that measles is like chickenpox, a normal "childhood illness" that was worse for adults.

From what I've read, MMR is not given under 6 mos. I haven't found anything showing any increase in risk from the vaccine for babies 6-11 mos.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page