Getting vaccinated is a pain! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I just wanted to vent a little. 

We have all been seeing the same family practice doc. Their office doesn't stock the rotovirus vaccine, which we only discovered some time after our daughter aged out of it. At that time it was all "oh, it's not in stock" and "oh, we'll see if we can order it" and "oh, it didn't come in, we'll try to order it again" and so on. I asked about it while expecting my son and found out they don't stock it at all. Ooookay then.

So I made an appointment at the health department to get that one. He is due for his 2 month shots THIS week. About an hour ago I got a call from the doc's office saying our doc has left the practice and would we like to schedule with one of the other docs. :irked

Because of this issue, them also not stocking Flumist, and me generally turning out to not be so nuts about having a family practice doc instead of a pediatrician for my kids... if we have to switch doctors anyway I want to find a pediatrician instead of staying with this group.

But we are also a bit sel/del and so I need someone who is accepting of that. 

Did I mention he is due for his vaccines THIS WEEK? 

I could keep the appointment with public health. It is $15 *per vaccine* (so that's gotta be at least $45, right?) and they don't take our insurance. I'm concerned the wait will be insane at the city health department, but I'm going to look into that too. 

*headdesk*

Anyone else had/having issues getting the vaccines you or your kids need?

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#2 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

We also use a family practice.  I like them well enough except for the flu shot issue.  They want to save their flu shots for high risk patients.  That's fine for me; I can go to Walgreens.  But pharmacies can't vax people under age 14 in my state, and it's always been a hassle getting a flu shot for my daughter.  (They've done it every year, but it it's usually taken at least a few phone calls.)

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Issues like this make me very thankful for the NHS (even with the different issues it can have).

Sorry you're having such a hard time getting what you need for your LOs.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Success! I got us a new pediatrician. It's been a nuisance a minute, but hopefully they can get him in next week. 

ss834 and prosciencemum like this.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page