Does religion inform your perspective on vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This post on VfV today is really relevant for me. Anyone else?

http://rachelmariestone.religionnews.com/2014/04/29/faith-fetal-cells-vaccination-common-good/

When I was undecided about vaccines, my views kind of bordered the religious/philosophical oppositions. I knew a large part of my concern was purely philosophical, but I did have spiritual inclinations that strengthened my resistance to vaccines-- actually pretty close to the arguments given by the father in this story (I've never been part of a religion that publicly opposes vaccines). Since then, I've become much more grounded in faith, and I've come to realize that vaccines do not threaten my faith at all. I am Christian, so I used Bible scripture to investigate the subject.

Anyway, curious if anyone else has explored this topic through their own religious views. If you are Christian, do you think the points made by this author are valid? If not, is there a source, such as a holy book, that offers you guidance?

I know this might be an uncomfortable subject so I'm not really expecting many responses, but it is one that struck a chord with me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I guess in a sense, my moral/religious belief in the importance of community (the "love thy neighbour" commandment) adds weight to my conviction that my family is doing the right thing by vaccinating, not only for ourselves, but to help protect those in our community who cannot be vaccinated.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think care and concern for neighbors is a significant factor that people might easily dismiss (I certainly did). I read that it was part of the reason that many in the Amish community began getting polio vaccines when their community was affected in a '79 outbreak. They didn't want their community to be responsible for harming others, so the goodwill motivation overruled whatever other objections they might have had.

#4 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I am an atheist. Atheists can come in all shapes and colours, but there is definitely a skeptical, science-minded group out there who are invariably pro-vaccines, probably because of the sound medical evidence showing their benefits.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page