• 2 Post By Serenity Now
  • 1 Post By prosciencemum

#1 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
"From Anti-Vax to Pro-Vax: Natural Parenting Perspective"

http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/fro...o-vax-natural/

The latest story from Voices For Vaccines, and since this is Mothering I thought you guys might especially enjoy it.

"Even though I cloth-diaper my babies, gather our own eggs, raise our own meat, grind our own wheat, hang our sheets on a clothesline some parents who choose not to vaccinate their kids may not consider me a “natural parent” anymore, simply because I vaccinate my children. But I can look at my precious children and know they are protected from polio, from tetanus, from pertussis, and so on, and I know that nothing is more natural than a parent protecting her children."

So true!
Backroads likes this.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Great story. Resonates so well with my family experience.
teacozy likes this.
#3 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post
Great story. Resonates so well with my family experience.
Yup

That's why I think it's so important to have a pro vaccine support forum on here. So many members of the natural parenting community do feel like their "crunchy card" gets "revoked" if they vaccinate or are pro vaccine, and I think that's a shame.

Of course I'm sure all the usual claims that she's either a shill or making it up are going to come out.

I do particularly like the response that V4V gave about the claims that Amy Parker worked for the CDC :

"In order for this idea to gain traction with a parent, she would have to suspend disbelief enough to believe that Karen and I know this Amy Parker at CDC (whom I've never heard of), convinced her to write this false first-person account of growing up in an idyllic Lake District community in northwest England, tweak the language enough to make it sound like it's written by someone born and raised in England, then steal a picture of some unsuspecting mom off the internet to go with the story--and then, after all that subterfuge, use the CDC mole's real name."

*snort*

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#4 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM

Although I guess my difference is I was provax from before I had kids - for me the surprise was the rest of the natural parenting, but the natural birth, "extended" breast feeding, baby wearing/co-sleeping, cloth nappies, as unprocessed as possible diet, etc all just make so much sense once I read about them.

And a lot if that was down to reading the mothering magazine. So I'm glad to be here too.
#5 of 13 Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
This is very similar to what I experienced as well. Add to that a child with autism, and the vitriol becomes much more intense. I think you guys saw what happened when I posted on the vaccinations debate about autism.

I've heard some really awful things about my son, and about my choices from the natural community. Surprisingly, I haven't heard anything but kind remarks from mainstream parents about my son. But from the AP community, which I used to be a major part of, it's been pretty vile. I don't participate in the AP community much anymore. But I do, and have baby worn, coslept, cloth diapered, breastfed, participated in homebirth advocacy (NOT anymore. I was always told it is safer than hospital birth, but apparently the science does not bear out, and I'm very pro-science) and gentle disciplined since I became a parent about a dozen years ago.

Crunchy cred? I gots it. Except for the science thing. I mean, we grow almost all of our own food, and what I can't grow I get delivered from a CSA. We beekeep, we're working on a new chicken coop for chickens, have solar power for our home and solar heated pool, aquaponics, I grind my own flour, make my soap, cleaners, shampoo. Dye and make many of our clothes. But we believe in western medicine and science, and have a child who is not damaged from vaccines, even though he does have autism. And I'm shunned. This is really the only board on MDC I feel I could post on.
teacozy and Backroads like this.
#6 of 13 Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Serenity now (love your user name). So sorry this has been your experience. Apart from on here (believe it or not) I tend to avoid talking about vaccines with my ap/crunchy moms. I don't want to lose friends over such a small part of parenting.

Mind you one was asking about homeopathy on Facebook this week which makes me sorely tempted to point out scientific flaws. Not about vaccinating - but if anyone has a handy, polite explanation of how homeopathic remedies are just very carefully prepared water is be glad to share that.
Backroads likes this.
#7 of 13 Old 06-05-2014, 08:36 AM

I don't tend to bring it up, either. But when they find out my son has autism, it's the first question.
#8 of 13 Old 06-05-2014, 12:47 PM

Yeah I see what you mean. Sorry - that must get really tiresome.
#9 of 13 Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 AM

The question itself doesn't bother me. People are naturally curious about it, and the vaccination causes autism belief is very pervasive, especially in anti-vax circles. But it's in mainstream parents, too. What gets really difficult is what happens after. I hear a lot of "that's why I didn't vaccinate my kids. Autism is my worst nightmare." With my kid standing right there. "I can't imagine how guilty you must feel since you held him down for the shots that damaged him." And then it kind of devolves from there examining every medical or diet decision I have ever made in my life, lol.
#10 of 13 Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Ugh. That does sound horrible.
#11 of 13 Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
The question itself doesn't bother me. People are naturally curious about it, and the vaccination causes autism belief is very pervasive, especially in anti-vax circles. But it's in mainstream parents, too. What gets really difficult is what happens after. I hear a lot of "that's why I didn't vaccinate my kids. Autism is my worst nightmare." With my kid standing right there. "I can't imagine how guilty you must feel since you held him down for the shots that damaged him." And then it kind of devolves from there examining every medical or diet decision I have ever made in my life, lol.
I'm sorry that they cannot see the impact of their inappropriate comments or assertions. It's unfortunate that such fear mongering happens and also that because that is what they believe they feel that all others ought to be on board with it as well. hugs.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#12 of 13 Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ty for posting. I actually had to talk my SO out of not vaxing.

SAHM, Baby-Wearing, APing, EBFing, Co-sleeping, Proud Autism warrior mama to two boys. 7/2/08 & 6/8/09
#13 of 13 Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a personal rule not to talk about anything medical at all on one of my crunchy FB groups. They are a lovely group of ladies, but there are some very entrenched views (non-vaxing, using homeopathy, rescue remedy, UCing, etc.) that I am not in support of, and I see no sense wrangling over them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page