Well I have a three month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 of 16 Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well I have a three month old

He's pretty cute. I was thinking back to that first shot with my first baby and the gratitude I feel to the fnp who, when I said I was maybe thinking about delaying or spacing vaccines out, looked me square in the eye and firmly and kindly pointed out there was no evidence that was safer than the actual schedule. I'm also grateful I can feel so much more confident this time around after the research I did before as a result of conversations here.

Still isn't easy to watch your baby get stuck, though. Although I've found it's worse to watch your three year old get poked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I also feel grateful to our pcp who is family medicine who said the same to us with my DD who is now 2. We now have a 2 month old DS who just his first round of shots. It does suck to see them hurting (& it was even worse this time since my mom is the nurse at the Dr office, gave him the shots!!!! It was hard on Nana)!
#3 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post
He's pretty cute. I was thinking back to that first shot with my first baby and the gratitude I feel to the fnp who, when I said I was maybe thinking about delaying or spacing vaccines out, looked me square in the eye and firmly and kindly pointed out there was no evidence that was safer than the actual schedule. I'm also grateful I can feel so much more confident this time around after the research I did before as a result of conversations here.

Still isn't easy to watch your baby get stuck, though. Although I've found it's worse to watch your three year old get poked!
The nurses at my son's pediatrician office said that the 4 year shots are the absolute worst of all! They are old enough to know what's going on and about to happen. Not looking forward to it!

This thread reminded me of a video that was going viral a few days ago. The "vaccine whisperer". This pediatrician is well known for getting babies to (mostly) laugh through their vaccines. Pretty amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOxpT9q2mo

(Does anyone know how to embed videos with the new format?)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#4 of 16 Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Rrrrrachel - congratulations! Nice to have you back.

I've hated every single vaccination appointment and have to remind myself every time it's the right thing to do and that sometimes the right things to do in the long run are not easy in the moment.
#5 of 16 Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 AM

And the 4yr ones are defintely the worst. A baby will forget 30 seconds later. A 4yr old can remember and hold it against you for months!
#6 of 16 Old 10-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 3 mos, too, and those 2 mo shots were definitely not easy for mama.

But I must say it was worse when I nicked her tiny, perfect, little finger clipping her nails this past weekend. She cried, I cried. Finger bled a bit. It sucked. And she was sleeping, so it was totally just one of those things. :/
#7 of 16 Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Best advice I ever had was to bite my babies finger nails instead if cut them. I used to do it while breast feeding!
#8 of 16 Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man. I've nicked a finger. It is the worst. I can't quite seem to bite them but I have dull clippers and that helps. Also sanitize those things from time to time.

Idk that I'm back. I just cruised through and read thread titles and i can't even.
#9 of 16 Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Also little guy had croup and while it was pretty scary for about an hour I definitely thought to myself that at least I knew it was diphtheria
#10 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
=

Idk that I'm back. I just cruised through and read thread titles and i can't even.
Yeah, it's pretty frightening.

Orac over on Respectful Insolence has a blog post up about some of the recent conspiracies making the rounds on the internet some of you might be interested in reading

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#11 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Prosciencemum and I got called out as pharma shills on orcas blog (comments section) once. It made me feel famous.
#12 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Prosciencemum and I got called out as pharma shills on orcas blog (comments section) once. It made me feel famous.
That's pretty funny.

I really do wonder why some are so quick to assume anyone commenting on vaccines is somehow getting paid to do so by big pharma.

When the tables get turned and the statement that it's just as plausible for them to be "big Alterna" shills posting negative things about vaccines and positive things about "natural" medicine they don't seem to think it's such a believable accusation...

Last edited by teacozy; 10-16-2014 at 12:10 PM.
#13 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Did we really! I don't think I knew that. Better go and celebrate in my swimming pool of gold coins!
#14 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Although I did read somewhere recently that the most effective pharma shills would likely be "reductum as absurdum" proponents of antivax views. Which ironically suggests that some of the most crazy ideas could be posted by provax people and by attempting to sensibly and politely reason our pro vax viewpoints we're wasting our time (if the intent is to convince anyone).

Personally I have no agenda, other than pointing out that being pro vax and into natural parenting don't need to be opposing positions.
#15 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just checking in here. The conspiracies are just too much for me, I can't even keep up with pregnancy brain (little one due Feb 24!).
#16 of 16 Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post
Just checking in here. The conspiracies are just too much for me, I can't even keep up with pregnancy brain (little one due Feb 24!).
Too much for me too.

Not to mention offensive to the many doctors and other healthcare workers risking their lives to go and help the suffering people in Africa. Doctors Without Borders recently released some statistics and said that at least 9 of their doctors have died from Ebola so far.

"Doctors Without Borders, meanwhile, said Tuesday that 16 of its staff members have been infected with Ebola and that nine have died. The toll highlights the high risk of caring for Ebola patients even at well-equipped and properly staffed treatment centers."

It's sad because these kinds of conspiracies are part of why this outbreak has been so hard to control. People don't trust the healthcare workers, so they refuse their help and advice, attack centers, steal patients etc.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the 8 aid workers who went to a village to try and spread awareness about how to avoid contracting ebola who were then brutally murdered because of fears that they were the ones bringing and spreading the virus.

Doctors Without Borders at one point had to temporarily suspend operations in Guinea because their centers were attacked, and villagers threw rocks at the aid workers accusing them of starting the outbreak.

Very sad.

I wonder how many people who think ebola is a hoax would be willing to go and help in Liberia armed with nothing more than essential oils, colloidal silver, and homeopathic remedies? My guess is not many.

A good point was made on another site that you don't see Homeopaths Without Borders lining up to go and help Ebola patients in Africa, despite claims that they have remedies to treat it.

Last edited by teacozy; 10-17-2014 at 09:31 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page