Struggling with Tummy Time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm new here and I shared this in my introduction post, but I thought I should cover all my bases, so I am posting here, too.

My son is 10 weeks old and we haven't done hardly any tummy time. Philip not only hates it, but just roots on the blanket/whatever surface he's on and I worry he's going to suffocate. If I do it on my belly, he just wants to breastfeed. His head and legs are pretty strong, but I know tummy time is a big important thing and I can't figure out how to work on it.

Tips?

Thanks in advance,

Julie

#2 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM

I never stressed over "tummy time" per se. Personally, I think setting a "minimum" that each individual child should get isn't ideal - but more of a way of giving information to mothers who otherwise might not understand that their child needs an opportunity for free, unrestricted movement in a variety of positions. Since the "back to sleep" campaign is so prevalent, babies usually get plenty of "back time" for movement, either movement in their sleep or upon waking before a caretaker is there to get them. DD was not a big fan of "tummy time" until she got old enough to actually hold her head up for longer periods, because it otherwise limited her perspective. So I just made certain to play with her during floor time in many positions while giving her enough space that she had unrestricted movement. FWIW, she wasn't a back-sleeper, either. From a very early age, around 6 weeks, she was able to get onto her side on her own most of the time, and if she was laid on her back to sleep, would generally end up in this position anyway. A couple of weeks later, she would awaken if laid on her back to sleep and we began placing her down on her side to sleep - she would stay on her side all night long in most cases. By 2 months she could roll on her own and slept in a variety of positions of her own choosing - mostly either her side or tummy. I didn't stress over this, either - I'm not going to constantly risk waking a well-sleeping baby in the night to flip them from tummy to back when they've gotten to their tummy on their own.

#3 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Do you wear your baby? Babies in carriers get plenty of opportunities for practicing head and neck movements/strengthening etc. I wear my babies all the time when they're tiny and I didn't bother with tummy time until they were old enough to enjoy it. Neither of them suffered any ill effects.
Mirzam and JenVose like this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you want to see if he'll enjoy it under different circumstances, try cleaning off a yoga mat (or buying a new, cheap one) and put him on that. It'd be almost impossible to suffocate on that, though if you really want a softer surface, a flannel cloth on top might bunch up a little, but still be less squishy than a thick padded thing or blanket.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 AM

Also, I don't know what you are trying with him when on his tummy, but my LO doesn't really get into it without motivation. A smiley toy or even snapping to get her attention does the trick, and then I move my hand to coax her head in different directions.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Mine both seem to hate it with a passion, so I have never pushed it.
#7 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM

You actually don't need to do "Tummy Time" at all.  http://www.janetlansbury.com/2011/08/the-case-against-tummy-time-guest-post-by-irene-gutteridge/

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#8 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 PM

Interesting about the back muscles, but the tone of that piece seems really alarmist, which seems unwarranted. I personally know more babies younger than 3 mo who like tummy time than I know babies who don't, which may be a fluke but makes me skeptical of anyone saying babies hate it because it paralyses them. In fact, babies who get lots of skin to skin time in the immediate post partum period spend tons of time on their tummies on our chests, and that's a very comfortable position for them to be.

#9 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

We have six children and have never done tummy time. I didn't even really know it was a "thing" until maybe a couple of years ago. Just enjoy your baby and don't leave him laying on his back all day. Get a carrier if you can and that will give him plenty of tummy to tummy time with you.

#10 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice, ladies! I feel a huge relief. While it sounds like there is debate about whether or not tummy time is necessary, it sounds like I am not damaging my child by foregoing it for now. He does not spend excessive time on his back and I do carry him a lot and lay him on my chest. His neck is getting stronger and he's pretty good at holding his head up, so it sounds like we're fine.

The yoga mat is a good idea. I have tried putting him places where he will be able to see me or a toy, but that hasn't seemed to help. We spend time playing on the floor often, though, so maybe this will get better as he grows.

In response to the article, there was a similar piece in the New York Times recently. I can't find the exact article online, but here is a blog that summarizes it and links to the study. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/tummy-time-may-not-be-needed/

#11 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM

We don't worry much about it, and my babe is four months. Sometimes I put him on his tummy for a few minutes, but he hates it so I haven't done it much. He is very healthy, strong and active, and I figure when he is ready I will know it.

#12 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I never worried about tummy time. If he doesn't like it, don't stress it. I have two awesome children who learned to walk ahead of schedule, and are otherwise strong, active children. Neither of then like being on their tummy until a certain point in time. It happened right when they were interested/able to become more mobile. You really don't need to force it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page