Longest time without poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.  I haven't been on this forum in awhile, but figured it was the best place to ask a question.  I have a daughter who will be 2 months old tomorrow (she, however, was born 6 weeks early).  She is exclusively breastfed.  And she has not had a bowel movement in 21ish days (last one was in the early morning hours of February 27th). She pooped daily or multiple times a day until that point. I saw the pediatrician on March 11th and she said it was fine then.  I am supposed to have her two month well baby visit tomorrow but our insurance was cancelled (I was laid off while on maternity leave), so I need to cancel the appointment.

Last night she had a couple of hours of intense crying…..I thought maybe she was trying to go.  I rubbed her belly, bicycled her legs, and even put a vaseline coated rectal thermometer in her rear…..nothing.  Her bowel sounds were hyperactive (I could hear them audibly) and she was passing gas.  She spit up about a tablespoon of breast milk when I had her over my forearm (sometimes she likes to lay like that)….and that is probably the most she has ever spit up.

I am wondering if she just uses more breast milk than a full term baby because she is a preemie??  I am guessing she is about 7 or so lbs (she was born 5 lbs 7 oz at 33w6d, but only gained 3 oz during her 15 day stay in the NICU and was 6 lbs 11 oz on the 11th).

This morning she is sleepy but has nursed off both breasts and seems fine.  I will take her to the ER if she presents like she did last night…..

Any thoughts?  Sorry this post is so long…..

#2 of 4 Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That does seem like quite a long time to me. Can you call the doctors office and request to speak to a nurse?

#3 of 4 Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Both my exclusively breastfed babes would go a long time between poops, especially early on (between 2 and 5ish months).  The longest was around three weeks, and I recall writing several posts similar to yours.  The guidance I always received (and it ended up being good advice) was that if they were passing gas/urinating, eating well, and otherwise content then they'd poop when they're ready.  That was always the case for us.  Very audible belly noises (gurgling, etc) and some degree of spitting up were the norm for us, and pooping/farting seemed like a big effort (not in a constipated way, just in a coordination way) so what you describe was our experience.  However, both my children were born 10 or more days post EDD, and were both over 9 lbs.  I was never shy about seeing our ped if I was concerned about something, so I think it makes sense to bring it up with him/her. 

As an aside, no one ever told me that as a mother I'd become so obsessed with someone else's poop.....even at 5 and 3 years old!!

LTurtle likes this.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM

My now 4 year old (today!) would go 10 days to 2 week between poops. She had a chronic diaper rash almost from birth and growth problems since birth. When she would finally have a BM it would be SO much and firm. Turns out she has celiac, she was just diagnosed. I believe she was born with it or developed it shortly after birth. Not saying your baby has celiac, just offering my experience. :)

If it were me personally, I'd take her in and get her looked at. IMO, 21 days is a long time to go without pooping even for an EBF baby.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page