Antibiotics for baby Eczema - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#1 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello everyone.. I just took my baby to the doctor. He has severe eczema that I haven't been able to get rid of so we got a prescription cream to get it under control. The doc said it also had some strep infection on top of it (has anyone heard of that?) so he also prescribed an oral antibiotic that I am supposed to give 4 times a day for 10 days,. My babe is only 5 months old and I know antibiotics can be harmful so young. Also he is EBF and the thought of putting anything else in his tummy right now just makes me cringe.

Should I give the antibiotics? For something more serious I would be more willing, but for something on the skin it doesn't seem terribly necessary to me. What do you think? I have not yet given him a single dose. Told my DH I would start tomorrow. . . . 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I can't tell you whether to give him the ABs or not but it is certainly common to get a bacterial infection on top of any type of skin disruption, such as eczema. Staph is the more common agent but strep pyogenes is probably the second most common.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Tiffa,

That sounds entirely normal to me. When a baby suffers from severe eczema the skin can become broken. Any time the skin is broken your baby is exposed to the risk of infection. The good news is that these types of infections are usually very easy to treat with antibiotics. The important thing here is that you clear up the infection. For that, your baby really does need the antibiotics. Unless your baby is having frequent and prolonged periods of antibiotic treatment you shouldn't worry :

Don

Mod Note: Advertising link removed after discussion with posting member.

#4 of 10 Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Tiffa, how's it going? I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. There ARE things that can be done to control eczema w/o abx... diet and essential oils come to mind among other things... 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Presscottchels - following this thread because my 6 month old is struggling with eczema.  I have tried dousing her in coconut oil many times a day, CeraVe and other creams from my ped. as well as several different antibiotic creams. It gets better for awhile and then comes back in patches.  I do link it to vaccines.  Every time she has another shot it gets worse again.  What are your natural suggestions?  My ped is pushing soy formula but I really don't want to do that.  (I am vaccinating and formula feeding against my better judgment because she is my foster daughter)

#6 of 10 Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Staph is the more common agent but strep pyogenes is probably the second most common.
#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 PM

I do not know what but I think the antibiotics are really very harmful for an infant. I would rather prefer the one to avoid the antibiotics and try some other alternative.
#8 of 10 Old 09-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine has little patches, too! Following! have only tried coconut oil....
#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
The oral antibiotics coupled with topical are pretty standard for staph/strep skin infections. You do not want staph/strep multiplying and going systemic.

So, I would do the antibiotics as prescribed since she already has the infection and she's young, and then treat her eczema in a way in which to prevent reinfection. If you notice the slightest broken skin or irritation, a drop of tea tree oil in warmed coconut oil or olive oil will dry it and take care of bacteria on the surface.

Some of my children have slight eczema that can flare at times..generally when their immune system is fighting off a virus. I usually increase vitamin D consumption, expose the eczema to the sunshine (not excessively of course or in bad weather!) and really pay attention to their diet. Using coconut oil is very helpful, and calendula ointment on the patches is very soothing! Once she begins solids or any other liquid (water, anything) infant/toddler probiotics have really helped my children to have no sign of eczema, as well.

Best wishes!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#10 of 10 Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OP Update.

Hey everyone. Sorry it has taken me so long, but here is an update for you:

I decided NOT to give him the antibiotics. He is 9 months old now, and all of the rashes on his face, head, arms and legs have just gone away on their own by now. He still gets patches on his back and tummy. THe doctor says his case is on the severe side.

What I did/am doing for it: I put the prescription steroid cream on the rashes if they get really ugly, or there is any broken skin. I don't like it, but it's better than broken skin and infection. To fight off the infection I put BREAST MILK on it, and that really seems to help clear it up. I just pump a little and then apply it with a cotton ball, let it sit for a bit and then give him a bath. When I bath him I run the water through a cloth filled with oats, use a gentle soap, and water that is just warm enough to be comfortable. I only bath my baby when he needs it. Which for me is just once or twice a week. Then
 I apply this lotion I apply this lotion
multiple times a day to the spots ,and all over his body after a bath. It has oatmeal in it and works really well for us.

I know that's not as natural as some people would like. I did try peppermint oil diluted with water once, but it just seemed to irritate it, and make things worse. I also cut a few things from my diet (dairy, eggs, corn) for a while and didn't notice that they made any difference. The doc said he should outgrow it by the time he is 7 or so. Until then the goal is just to keep the flairs down and manage them as best we can. I don't expect to "cure" it anytime soon. As long as my son is comfortable that's all that matters.

Good luck to everyone else!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page