UTI in 9 month old--how to support his digestive system during/after antibiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
UTI in 9 month old--how to support his digestive system during/after antibiotics?

Hello, mamas! I am a first time mom, so all of this is new to me. I finally took my 9 month old son to the doctor this morning after two days of on and off fever. (It was over 103 for a few hours early this morning and he wouldn't nurse or sleep, which is when I got worried.) He tested positive for a UTI, which I believe is legit because fever was his only symptom besides really weird/strong smelling pee. His ears and throat were fine and he tested negative for strep.

Anyway, as much as I hate to, I am giving him the 10-day round of antibiotics (first medication ever in his life! Bummer!) because I do not want to risk a natural remedy not working and it spreading to his kidneys or something. I know that UTIs can get bad quickly.

I bought some Garden of Life powdered probiotics for babies and I plan on giving it to him every day a few hours after his daily antibiotic. Anything else I can do to help his digestive system not get totally destroyed?

He still nurses for most of his nutrition, anything I can take?

Also, he is intact, and I'm the only person I know in real life with an intact son. UTIs in boys are pretty rare from what I've heard, so now I feel a little dumb because I have told a lot of people who questioned us about not circing that the stats about "cleaner, UTIs, etc." were overrated and that intact boys are normal and healthy, blah blah...anyone dealt with this? I feel like it makes intact boys look bad! :/

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Also, natural fever relief ideas? I caved and gave him Advil early this morning because he was too miserable to sleep or eat. I usually let fevers run their course though. Dr. said I could give it every 8 hrs if needed but I'm not gonna do that.
#3 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you are breastfeeding, breastmilk straight from the breast contains L. Reuteri and Bifido Breve probiotics. If not, than perhaps you could seek those in a commercial product. I hope members have more info for you.
Regarding being intact, is there anyone else who changes your son's diapers? It is possible that they think they must clean the penis and thus manipulate the foreskin, which could introduce pathogens. My son is also intact and the sphincter does a very good job of keeping the foreskin closed and protecting the penis. I could see though someone thinking they must clean 'inside' the penis, not knowing any better.
#4 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Fevers play such an important role in fighting infection, I agree with you on letting it run it's course. If he is losing sleep though, perhaps reducing it is the right decision, I don't know. I always wet my son's head to cool it, hair and everything, then nursed him. I would keep water on the nightstand to cool his head, remove his clothing as needed, and nurse.
Clothing really retains the heat.
#5 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I am breastfeeding, thankfully. And my husband and I are the only ones that change his diaper, and we've never done any sort of retraction at ALL.
#6 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it is a hard decision about the fever. I will try sponging him off if it gets high again. It didn't seem to help much last night.
#7 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 PM

I am sorry, I wish you and your son the best. I hope that he is feeling better soon.
#8 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Asiago!
#9 of 10 Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so maybe it wasn't a UTI? He had fever till last night, and woke up happy as can be this morning. When he woke up from his morning nap, he had a rash all over his face and neck, and some on his arms. Could this whole thing have been roseola? Or could it e a reaction to the antibiotics he is on for the supposed UTI? Are those "pee in a baggie" tests ever wrong or have false positives?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157.4 KB, 4 views)
#10 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much, i like that

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page