Is the collection bag method accurate to detect UTIs in babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is the collection bag method accurate to detect UTIs in babies?

I posted a thread a few days ago about my son testing positive for a UTI after 3 days of fever. They used the adhesive baggie to collect the urine, and the urine culture results came back after 48 hours positive for a UTI. The nurse only wiped my sons genitals with a sanitizing wipe, no actual washing or rinsing, and she didn't have on gloves. Now that I think about it, she didn't wash her hands first either. (Ew.) I am also not sure if the sample was promptly refrigerated.

The reason I ask is because my son has been on antibiotics for 2 days, and his last fever was yesterday evening. He woke up this morning with a weird rash on his face and neck, and some on his arms. DH and I wonder if it was roseola all along! It could also be a reaction to the antibiotics I guess. Dr. said to report on the rash tomorrow and we'd decide what to do based on that.

Since the rash showed up, I have been researching about urinary tract infections in babies, and the general consensus seems to be that bag collection method is not always accurate because of contamination.

Does anyone know anything about this? Nurses, doctors, experienced moms?
#2 of 2 Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
No, a urine bag isn't a "clean catch". However, the only way to get a clean catch on a baby is to a) chase them around with a jar and hope for the best, b) do an in out catheterisation or c) do a suprapubic tap (needle into the bladder via abdominal wall. So we usually opt for the bag.

You can often tell by dipstick. The presence of white blood cells in the urine indicates UTI and isn't affected by skin contamination. Depending on what was cultured it may be more obvious whether it was contaminated or not. We often get results back which say "XYZ cultured. Indicative of contamination by skin flora. Consider recollection."

The nurse may have washed her hands before she came into your room. I often finish with one patient, wash hands in hallway, collect what I need and go into the next patient's room. Neither patient sees me wash my hands but I've still done it :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page