Tooth Decay in 15 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Tooth Decay in 15 month old

My 15 month old son fell on his face a few months ago, chipped two of his front teeth and they are now decaying. In order to get them removed he would need to be put under general anesthetic; I am not comfortable with this at all but it would be impossible to get them extracted any other way. Another option is wait until they get bigger and cause toothaches which then they will need to be removed immediately. I don't know what to do!!!! I'm really scared for him; anyone had to deal with this or have advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Strictly speaking, there is another way to extract the teeth: it involves sedation and restraints (and probably a lot of screaming). General anaesthetic makes me very uncomfortable too, but I do think it's usually better than the alternatives. My suggestions are: if you can, take the time to find a dentist that you feel you can trust, and discuss your general dental preferences so that the dentist can do a quick check and fix any other problems he/she sees during the procedure so your son can avoid a second round of general anaesthetic. As for the wait-until-there's-pain approach: it's my understanding that if baby teeth get too badly decayed, it can damage the adult teeth. Also, emergency procedures generally come with fewer options (the dentist you like might be on vacation and you could be stuck with somebody you don't trust, etc....)

And I know from personal experience how much the whole thing sucks.

User Tag List