Picking toddler up by ONE armpit, unsafe ??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, I am a concerned aunt who has no kids of her own.... Why I'm here asking this..

My sister frequently picks up my 2yr old niece by ONE underarm. So with a single hand my sis picks her up at the armpit so all her weight is on that single area.

My niece is small but weighs probably just under 30lbs right now. I have told my sister multiple times she shouldn't do that because she might dislocate her shoulder or something. It just looks really unsafe and worries me. especially with her joints still developing and her weight growing all the time.

Am I overreacting or is this unsafe???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
It's hard to tell people how to handle their children.!since she is your sister I would talk to her again because you are concerned. Maybe find some resources online. I really don't know how safe or unsafe it is without seeing it. Sorry
Best
#3 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's hard to say without seeing it happen.

I know it's easy to dislocate a shoulder by picking kids up by their arms but I can't quite visualise how you could do it when supporting the child's weight with your hand under their armpit, since there wouldn't be any weight pulling on the arm.

I know once DS arrived and I had him in one arm I used to scoop DD up using only one arm. Just pulling her in close and getting on her on my hip quickly. I've seen many other mums do the same and never thought of it as an issue.

#4 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, it is hard to visualize.  Picking a child up by an arm isn't a good idea because it dislocates their arms.  My parents brought my brother in with that problem when he was little and the doctor said that you wouldn't believe how often parents bring in their children with dislocated  shoulders. :(  I wouldn't push it with your sister though.  She might start getting defensive if you keep telling her.

#5 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I know exactly what you're describing and I don't know a single mom who's never done it. FWIW, both my kids are way past the toddler stage and have two fully functional arms. ☺
rachelsmama likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I'm fairly certain that to dislocate a child's shoulder one must pick up the child by the a, not under the shoulder. Pretty sure I picked up my older daughter that way when I was home alone after my second daughter was born and would only have one available hand to use since the other was holding the baby.
Honestly? This wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
#7 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you guys for the responses. I guess it just looked awkward to me the way she did it, it's a relief to get feedback from moms that have done it and haven't had issues! smile.gif
#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I try not to do this very often, but with twins I find I have to more than I'd like. It never, ever seems to bother either of them. They are 20 lbs each, 14 months old.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page