IgG results back; yeast intolerance; rotational diets; advice please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We got our IgG ELISA food panel results back for my son and yeast was the worst offender out of the 96 followed by wheat and coconut.
Any insight into the yeast?
Does this point to systematic Candidia?
Any links for rotational diets (my head is spinning!)?
His main symptoms over the past 7 years have been chronic nasal congestion, asthma flares (cough variant), and most recently motor and vocal tics. We have been mostly gluten and dairy free in the past and eat a organic, whole foods diet.

Additionally, recommendations for yeast/gluten/dairy free kids supplements including: B complex, multi vitamin, and probiotics.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hugs Mama! Those IgG tests can be hard to interpret.  I would think of it as a clue to what is going on instead of looking at the results as a straight list of allergens.  I had one done for myself last year and garlic and yeast were my top two offenders.  I am not allergic to garlic, rather garlic was causing die off from a candida overgrowth and therefore causing my immune system to react....or something.  What helped me was first eating a lot of coconut oil, then garlic to kill off the yeast a bit and my reactions diminished big time (for those foods it was bloating and gas).  I would guess that if I tested again now that at the very least garlic would be low on the list.  I have also heard that these tests are not very accurate, in that many times will not produce the same results, so while I don't think the test is useless, I would use it as a starting point, and not a definite.

I'm here too looking for rotation diet ideas...had these issues with my first, and now sticking my head in again for my second....it's not easy!

I would think that the results do indicate a problem with yeast, although I have issues with the "candida diet".  I would look into a more GAPS or Paleo type diet.  I did really well when I was eating a Paleo diet (wasn't able to keep it up, and that's why we are having problems again.) I would favor probiotic foods to pills/powders (for me, it was the pathogenic stuff that was causing issues, so I needed the natural yeasts to help - it *will* cause die off, so start with a very small amount).  FWIW, I did follow up with a scratch test for yeast and mold, and everything came back negative, so you may want to double check that.  It's really easy to start with making your own fermented ketchup, salsa, guacamole, water kefir,  etc and a little less intimidating that trying to get a fan of sauerkraut right off the bat...although adding a bit atop a good stew worked well for us (as opposed to just trying to get DS (who was 1.5) to eat sauerkraut from the jar...although he did on several occasions. 

For me, I am going to try and rotate the foods that I believe are the most likely culprits and keep a detailed food journal (the journal is imperative since it can take a few days for symptoms to appear).  I will likely try to do that for a month or so and look for an overall pattern (unless one appears sooner).  Then dissect the foods and eliminate then challenge the most likely offenders.

Also, I wanted to say that I did NOT test reactive on the ELISA IgG for things I absolutely have an issue with (like dairy, which is very similar in structure to soy, so I need to avoid that too).  So if you think that is an issue, keep it out of his diet, as with the gluten.  I was able to reintroduce a small amount of fermented dairy and ghee to my diet after about a year without issue. I still have trouble with grains, all of them.

Lots to say, and it's just not an easy road no matter how you cut it.  You will have to make things from scratch to accomplish this, but once you get in the groove it gets easier, I promise!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List