Sick child:( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DD1 (who will be 4 years old this month) has been sick a lot lately. Starting this year, she`s been sick almost every month. It usually starts out with typical cold symptoms but it takes her a long time to get well even with meds from the doctor. She had pnemonia in June and it took two kinds of antibiotics to cure her. She`s been on antibiotics too many times this year for this or that. Just last week she got abx from the doctor for a badly infected bug bite that caused her leg to swell badly from the knee down. 

And she is sick again.  Fever, cough, runny nose. It`s day 3 of her fever and although it`s not too high, still shows no signs of getting better. Her cough is what worries me most though. She caughed a lot last night and it`s beginning to look eerily similar to the time when she had pnemonia.

I really don`t think she was this weak when she was younger. Plus, it didn`t take her this long to get better either. It seems like she cannot get better without antibiotics any more.

My question is:

What can I give to a child her age that would boost her immune system? Any vitamins/ supplements that are available that would help? Also, I don`t live in the US so not sure what`s available here. Just desperate to find some (natural) remedies for her.

So far, I`ve given her honey, lemon, probiotics and lots of liquid. What am I missing?

TIA

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love Fermented Cod Liver oil from Green Pastures.  My immunity was shot after having a baby and a round of antibiotics and this helped.  My 9 month old started taking it also because so much sickness was going around at daycare.  Are you giving meds to lower the fever every time?  Allowing your child to have a fever can help prevent future illness also.

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply. I have thought about fish oil before just haven`t tried it yet. I will give Cod Liver oil a try.

I  do give her fever meds because she has febrile seizures and it scares me when her fever shoots high.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You need to see an immunologist and have them ran some tests.

Please, follow what your doctor says as far as fever meds.   It is different for kids with febrile seizures.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so sorry. :-( Can you get her a good vitamin D supplement? Other than that I have no advice. :-( Hang in there. <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Alenushka and Dalia for your reply. Thankfully, her fever is gone and the cough is not so bad. She`s been better and then suddenly gets worse so I`m holding my breath here.

Immunologist? What sort of tests would they run?  If the situation doesn`t improve I will do that. Or at least, take her to a bigger hospital. We`ve been going to a local ped and while he is very good his standard answer to everything is antibiotics.

Vitamin D sounds very good. I just went out and bought the Cod liver oil too. It was surprisingly easy to find. Let`s see how things go.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Febrile Seizures are scary.  I had several as a child and even had to be hospitalized for days after them.  I would try to find a doctor who can find the reason for the illnesses not just hand out antibiotics.  Good luck :)  

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEforlife View Post

Febrile Seizures are scary.  I had several as a child and even had to be hospitalized for days after them.  I would try to find a doctor who can find the reason for the illnesses not just hand out antibiotics.  Good luck smile.gif  

I agree. Maybe the reason the antibiotics are not "working" is because she is getting viruses not infections. Seems like the first thing to do would be to work on her immune system. I would recommend seeing a naturopath. Also, regular chiropractic care can help with the immune system as well. <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is what I think as well. Antibiotics don`t work for viruses. I used to have an amazing ped before our move in February. We are relatively new to this place and the two places I`ve gone to basically give out antibiotics for most everything. Here in Japan people use Chinese herbs a lot maybe that would work better for my daughter.

Today she is much better although still coughing and still has a runny nose. Good news is they all love the new fish oil supplement so I will go with that one for a while. Also, lots of Vit C and need to look for a Vitamin D supplement.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. :love

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List