Lingering Cough and Trying to Eliminate Pertussis From List of Suspects - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7-year-old daughter has had a lingering cough for about 3 weeks now. We're expecting a baby in February and decided to get the family pertussis shots since there have been cases in our community, we ride the bus, she goes to public school, etc.

She got the DTAP shot two weeks ago and we also had the doctor look at the cough... the doctor wasn't sure if it was whooping cough, asthma, or allergies, which seems like a big (and strange) range to me. She prescribed an inhaler that we never picked up, but we've since tried a humidifier. Her everyday activities don't seem affected... Claritin, Benadryl, homeopathic cough syrup, and the humidifier don't seem to have helped and she's still waking up every night with the cough, which seems kind of dry and hacking.

Anyone have any insight into the cough and what might help? She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but I'm not sure if we should keep it. Thanks for any help or advice!

#2 of 3 Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Pertussis in healthy older children and adults can often look pretty mild, while still being dangerous to infants if transmitted.  If it were me, I'd keep the appointment and ask the doc to test for pertussis. 

kathymuggle likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep I was going to say the same as above. I am a peds nurse who works on a respiratory unit. I have supported many babies through pertussis. It's a simple nasal swab test with pretty fast results and so worth finding out. It is treated with antibiotics but the cough can linger for weeks because of the toxic effects of the bacteria even after they have been killed off. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page