How long should it take to hear back about a referral? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put a referral request for OT on the advice of my DD's counselor, on the 16th of Dec. I called on the 20th, the 23rd, and the 26th, and it appears that nothing has moved forward. This is after I was told I would need to bring DD in for a PE, because her old pediatrician moved away. The new pede tried to essentially sell me on their "in-house" child psychologist, but assured me that he would give the referral if that was what we wanted.
The last time I called, the clerk told me there were no notes from the doctor, and after insisting that she would forward the request to his team members, when I called at 4:55 that same day, I got voicemail. Grrrrr!
Does this seem excessively long? I have never had to wait this long for a referral, much less a response. The OT office is literally right down the hill from DD's clinic. I am prepared to camp out in the lobby tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I would give it another week or so.  The delay could be due to the holidays and such.  

I'm kind of going through the same thing-  waiting to hear back after I sent in all the paperwork and the referral, to get my son evaluated.  It's been several weeks.  I figured I would call next week once the holidays are officially over.

#3 of 6 Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I did think about that. DD's counselor thought it would be good to try and get the referral in before the end of the year, as her insurance is going from subsidized private to Medicaid, and getting her in may be more challenging. I think my frustration level is heightened because the new pede we saw rubbed me the wrong way from the start. But perhaps it would help to be more zen, at least for a few more days.
#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Update:  So this doctor has lied to my face and is now refusing the referral to OT.  I am not surprised because he was very pushy in the initial appointment about having me see THEIR in-house child psychologist and was extremely condescending with his questions.  When I told him DD had been working well with the LPC therapist for the past year, and that OT was her suggestion, he downplayed her credentials in favor of the staff psych.  There's more but at the end of the appointment, he said, and I quote, "I don't think OT is really going to help her [anxiety], but if you want the referral, I'll give it to you."

I told him I would consider seeing the psychologist, but after talking with my husband and DD's therapist, it seemed like it would be more of the same therapy she had already been receiving. 

So this morning the psychologist's aide called and said the doctor was refusing the referral and wanted her to see the psychologist.  I was livid.  I explained what the doctor had said and she even confirmed the notation that he had said he would give the referral if that was what I had decided.  She said she would have him call me directly, but considering how long its taken to have them get back to me for this, I doubt he's going to be on the ball.  I don't even know where to go from here.  I love the clinic, and her former pede was fantastic, but trying to explain 2 years of history in 20 minutes to a guy who doesn't know my kid is impossible.  I just feel like I've done everything I should for my kiddo and now I'm getting shit on because of this new guy who wants to make more business for the clinic.  I already made sure DD's primary care provider was changed from this guy even before I heard back about the referral because DD was not impressed with him, either.  She actually asked me, "Do I have to see that doctor again?" 

I don't even know where to go from here, other than lighting into this guy, but he's the type that will just use that against me.  I feel like my only other options are to try and get a referral from her new PCP or see the psychologist and hope either one of them see things differently.  I just dread having to drag DD through all this red tape again for no reason...

#5 of 6 Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I completely understand how you feel having been through the doctor rodeo myself and currently going through it again! I see two options call the clinic psychologist and discuss the issue with him/her or get a new doctor entirely which it sounds like you did? My kids are actually seeing a new doctor as well and while that's fine for my little ones with no issues I think I'm going to have to transfer dd to her original doctor that may be more sympathetic to our current health situation. Ugh I hate dealing with the doctor mess. We need a referral also and are unlikely to get it without a doctor change :(

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#6 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

We had our first OT appt and evaluation yesterday. DD had the croup a couple of weeks ago and went to see her new PCP, who actually brought up the referral without prompting. I only had to give her a brief rundown of DD's symptoms and she said she'd give the referral. She said "I'm a mom, and I understand going with your gut about these things".
So OT evaluation went well, and the therapist said she appears to be testing high in sensory stuff, so he's going to see her back after getting a plan started.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page