natural remedies for flu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas! I haven't really been around the forums in a few years...I was super active when my daughter was a baby but, well,  you know how it gets! Anyway...I'm actually a freelance writer now, and I'm working on an article about natural home remedies for the flu. I'm supposed to get advice from real moms, not experts, and, of course, the first place I thought of to find real moms who are experts on this was here at Mothering! So: if you have a great flu remedy (essential oils, chicken soup recipe, that sort of thing -- just something that works well for you!) and you'd be willing to be quoted in an article (on mom.me), will you message me? You can also comment on this thread or email me (lisa @ lcbaker.com). Thank you so much! 

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#2 of 4 Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Yes, chicken soup, lots of liquids and echinacea!
#3 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM

we do homemade bone stocks, chicken soup, cod liver oil/ vit D, elderberry syrup, hot chamomile/peppermint tea.  warm baths, and restrict sickos to bed for the duration of cough and feeling blech.

husband often take ibuprofen to take the edge off, but the kids (i seem to be immune) never have it that bad and the big guy seems to go down the hardest and longest.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#4 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Ditto that! We do vitamin D (1,200iu daily for the kids, 8,000iu for mom & dad), probiotics, bone stock/chicken soups, herbal teas, tinctures and homeopathy, humidifiers with eucalyptus oil in the room.

So far DH, DD & I have managed to stay illness-free, DS1 has only had 1 night of 100.6 deg fever and some nausea, then got over it. DS2 gets a cough every winter, he spiked 100.6 for 2 nights, and still working on getting him over this with herbal tinctures, humidifiers, etc. This is pretty typical for him - it always just goes straight to his chest, not sure why!

Message me if you'd like my famous chicken-veggie-quinoa soup recipe...dairy-free, gluten-free, super yummy! :)

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page