Flu prevention tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I don't know if I'm just buying into the hype or what but I'm getting concerned about the flu that's going around and looking at our schedule for the next week that includes indoor play with lots of kiddos...so, I'm wondering if any of you restrict indoor activities during the winter months, especially when the flu is going around?

We don't vax and we are finally coming out of a transition period with my homeschooled boys, who have been going through the 9-yr-change and the 7-yr-change at the same time. I feel like we've finally hit our stride and I'm just really hoping to avoid the flu or anything that will set us back (some background info: our oldest is very intense and we've been working with an ND on supplemental therapy to help him regulate OEs better). Anyways, I don't want to rock the boat now that we've found some peace in our family.

Any tips? We take FCLO, drink bone broth, are gluten/casein free, spend lots of time outdoors...mainly I'm worrying about the indoor activities, especially the one inside a bounce-house type play area for kids. That just screams Petri dish for germs right now. Lots of people in our area have been getting the flu recently.

Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM

Sounds similar to us! We're a non-vaxing, gluten-free/dairy-free household too. :) The boys are in school, so they get exposed to everything all the "vaccinated" kids come dragging in with.  In addition to our usual multi-vitamins and omega-3's, my winter flu-prevention regimen includes good daily probiotics and tons of vitamin D (1,200iu daily for the kids, 8,000iu for adults) - 'cause even if you spend lots of time outdoors, the sun isn't as strong this time of year, and our skin is usually still pretty covered up. We also do the bone broth, homemade chicken soup with quinoa & veggies, etc, and sometimes elderberry syrup.

If we start to feel something coming on, or know we've been exposed, herbal tinctures such as Wish Garden Herbs' Kick-Ass Immune Activator really knocks it out...chase it with a spoonful of raw honey to cut the taste. And of course, homeopathy in frequent doses works wonders - Boiron's ColdCalm or Chestal cough syrup, Hyland's Flu Tablets, Belladonna for fever, etc.

We used to do a whole lot of indoor activities, but don't anymore - I personally can't stand dragging them out in the snowy mess to get chilled before & after they go bounce in a petri dish. But if you do find yourself doing this, basic hand-washing and hygiene is always good prevention! If you see a snotty-nosed kid bouncing with them, hit 'em up with the elderberry syrup & herbal immune activator a few times afterwards.

So far this season, it's worked out pretty well for us! Only DS2 has gotten an upper respiratory thing & spiked a moderate fever for 2 nights, he gets nailed with a chest cold every year and has a hard time shaking it. But the rest of us have managed to skate by without a sniffle! Hope this helps - best wishes for staying healthy! :)

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for sharing such great info! I think I'm going to take a cue from you and avoid indoor play with other kids right now, while loading up on vit D more. We do the bone broth and fermented cod liver oil already, as well as megadoses of vit C but I think that extra step is warranted right now- the flu is really gong around here!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Sure - glad to help out!! :) If the flu is going around that much, I always think it's best to keep as far away from it as possible. It's awful to get sick, and just as bad to see your little ones miserable!  Sometimes kids do spike fevers or catch a "bug" when they're going through a growth spurt - that's kind of unavoidable - but those are usually short-lived and not too severe. Have you read this article? http://www.mothering.com/community/a/healing-crisis-dont-worry-mom-im-just-growing   I found it SO helpful in explaining that process.

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH
Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 PM

The best way to prevent flu is by good hygiene and getting a flu shot.  If you do get the flu, stay away from anyone at risk including pregnant women, children under the age of five, those with health conditions and those receiving chemo.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
To the PP, you do realize the OP stated that they are non vax...why would you tell her to get a flu shot?

I give my kids vit c, vit d, and probiotics every night before bed. We eat healthy, wash hands often, and yes we do avoid indoor activities .

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM

I said it because they also asked the best way to prevent flu

Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropeteranon View Post

I said it because they also asked the best way to prevent flu

Except a flu shot isn't the best way to prevent flu.  The efficacy of flu shots is, at best, the statistical equivalent of a coin toss...about 56% best-case.  For seniors, the rate goes down to 9%. And any "immunity" is short lived - doesn't even last the length of the flu season.  Not to mention, many people are chemically sensitive, and all vaccines contain various toxins. For children like mine and many others, they could be pushed into a damaging and/or potentially fatal reaction.  My mom gets a flu shot every year, and every year she has a bad reaction where she is sick for days afterwards, and her whole arm is painful...then she still gets the flu.  Yet she continues to get the shots!  This article, quite serendipitously, happened to be in my email this morning:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/01/14/flu-shot-pregnancy.aspx 

The best way to prevent flu - or any illness - is the common sense approach: stay healthy with plenty of good nutrition, exercise, and good hygiene, as noted at the end of the afore-mentioned article.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3beasties View Post

Except a flu shot isn't the best way to prevent flu.  The efficacy of flu shots is, at best, the statistical equivalent of a coin toss...about 56% best-case.  For seniors, the rate goes down to 9%. And any "immunity" is short lived - doesn't even last the length of the flu season.  Not to mention, many people are chemically sensitive, and all vaccines contain various toxins. For children like mine and many others, they could be pushed into a damaging and/or potentially fatal reaction.  My mom gets a flu shot every year, and every year she has a bad reaction where she is sick for days afterwards, and her whole arm is painful...then she still gets the flu.  Yet she continues to get the shots!  This article, quite serendipitously, happened to be in my email this morning:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/01/14/flu-shot-pregnancy.aspx 

The best way to prevent flu - or any illness - is the common sense approach: stay healthy with plenty of good nutrition, exercise, and good hygiene, as noted at the end of the afore-mentioned article.

I want to add a little here. 

A flu shot will not prevent flu, and it is not designed to.  The flu shot is designed to familiarized your immune system with the proteins associated with the current year's strain of flu so your body will recognize it.  If you are then exposed to the flu, your body IMMEDIATELY recognizes it as an antigen and will attack.  Will it knock you down a bit?  yes.  Will you get a small fever?  maybe.  Will your chances of complications be reduced by 75%?  absolutely.

If you do not have the flu shot, your body will not immediately recognize the flu as an invader and the virus will multiply undetected for 2-3 days before your immune system recognizes this and begins to mount a response.  At that time your viral load will be substantial and it will be a very nasty sickness.

So in essence, the flu vaccine just gives your body a great head start on knocking the virus down before it gets a hold in your system. 

This year's flu is the Swine Flu (H1N1) just like 2009 and it is a nasty strain.  It is exceptionally virulent in ppl under 30 and pregnant women.  I worked in healthcare and have taken care of people who had really bad flu complications.  One was a pregnant lady who died (we had to take the baby at 29 weeks).  The story is here FYI (it's a tad lengthy).

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1395792/the-h1n1-swine-flu-is-back-info-from-a-rn-whos-seen-the-worst

I am pregnant and was not vaccinated this year.  I used to be vaccinated every year when I worked as a nurse in the ICU (it was mandatory).  This year's flu is worrisome bc it is really exploding - with a very large number of new cases being reported.  I am not anti-vax in any way, but I don't want to get one right now because I'm in that formative window at 8wks pg.  I have def changed my activities and have counseled my husband about hand hygiene. 

btw - having adequate vitamins is essential for a functioning immune system, but megadoses aren't going to give you any shield.  Here are basic tips for prevention. 

TIPS for FLU PREVENTION:

• Stay out of busy public places as much as possible.
  • Breathe through your nose (NOT your mouth) - your nose has hairs and mucus to filter/trap airborne and droplet particles before they enter the respiratory tract.
  • If you see someone sneezing or coughing, turn around and get out of there for at least 10 minutes.
  • Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 15 seconds, using lots of friction.  Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean hand towel (not the blow dryers).  You may have to carry your own towels.
  • Be careful about touching your face with your hands.  If you must and you can’t clean your hands first, use a tissue as a barrier. 

Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by innacircle View Post

I want to add a little here. 
A flu shot will not prevent flu, and it is not designed to.  The flu shot is designed to familiarized your immune system with the proteins associated with the current year's strain of flu so your body will recognize it.  If you are then exposed to the flu, your body IMMEDIATELY recognizes it as an antigen and will attack.  Will it knock you down a bit?  yes.  Will you get a small fever?  maybe.  Will your chances of complications be reduced by 75%?  absolutely.

If you do not have the flu shot, your body will not immediately recognize the flu as an invader and the virus will multiply undetected for 2-3 days before your immune system recognizes this and begins to mount a response.  At that time your viral load will be substantial and it will be a very nasty sickness.
So in essence, the flu vaccine just gives your body a great head start on knocking the virus down before it gets a hold in your system. 

This year's flu is the Swine Flu (H1N1) just like 2009 and it is a nasty strain.  It is exceptionally virulent in ppl under 30 and pregnant women.  I worked in healthcare and have taken care of people who had really bad flu complications.  One was a pregnant lady who died (we had to take the baby at 29 weeks).  The story is here FYI (it's a tad lengthy).
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1395792/the-h1n1-swine-flu-is-back-info-from-a-rn-whos-seen-the-worst

I am pregnant and was not vaccinated this year.  I used to be vaccinated every year when I worked as a nurse in the ICU (it was mandatory).  This year's flu is worrisome bc it is really exploding - with a very large number of new cases being reported.  I am not anti-vax in any way, but I don't want to get one right now because I'm in that formative window at 8wks pg.  I have def changed my activities and have counseled my husband about hand hygiene. 

btw - having adequate vitamins is essential for a functioning immune system, but megadoses aren't going to give you any shield.  Here are basic tips for prevention. 

TIPS for FLU PREVENTION:
  • Stay out of busy public places as much as possible.
  • Breathe through your nose (NOT your mouth) - your nose has hairs and mucus to filter/trap airborne and droplet particles before they enter the respiratory tract.
  • If you see someone sneezing or coughing, turn around and get out of there for at least 10 minutes.
  • Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 15 seconds, using lots of friction.  Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean hand towel (not the blow dryers).  You may have to carry your own towels.
  • Be careful about touching your face with your hands.  If you must and you can’t clean your hands first, use a tissue as a barrier. 

Re: bolded, so if this is true, then wouldn't getting the shot put others in danger and potentially cause the flu to spread more? You wouldn't know the virus you were carrying, think you had the common cold, go to work, the grocery store, etc. All the while spreading the virus. Ugh. I would rather just follow the other advice you listed and also take lots of vitamin D and maybe some immune boosting herbs. Kids love the elderberry syrup.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We take a multi vitamin and fish oil. I also have a cold and flu prevention oil that you rub on your feet (I think it has frankincense and myrrh in it). We also just started drinking a bit of aloe juice mixed in with other watered down juices (because the aloe by itself is really thick and pretty bland). We eat some local honey, and use a natural anti-bacterial sanitizer every now and then.

We do flu shots sometimes...not every year. My son has asthma, so it is highly encouraged! 

My kids got the flu once that I know of, in recent years. The doctors didn't bother to test my kids, but they felt that it was H1N1, since that was the only flu going around at that time. It was just a little bit of respiratory and nasal stuff...and a lot of body aches. My son had it much worse than my daughter. The scariest part was the 104.5 fever that wouldn't break. 

Both my kids had flu shots that year...the week before they got sick. The doctors suspected that the flu was already incubating in them when they were vaccinated. Weird thing is, I remember the flu hitting really early that year, with people getting it before school started, in August! My kids got it in October.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Re: bolded, so if this is true, then wouldn't getting the shot put others in danger and potentially cause the flu to spread more? You wouldn't know the virus you were carrying, think you had the common cold, go to work, the grocery store, etc. All the while spreading the virus. Ugh. I would rather just follow the other advice you listed and also take lots of vitamin D and maybe some immune boosting herbs. Kids love the elderberry syrup.

dalia - That's a very interesting point!  I love when people think outside of the box.

The only catch is that even if you get the flu with no vaccine, you will still be spreading it on days 1-4 before you know or become highly symptomatic.  Everyone will still be a carrier/spreader until they realize it and stay home.  The ppl who are immunized will have much less germ load to "share" though, so their ability to spread it is greatly reduced.

Usually being contagious ends when the fever stops. 

As an aside to some of the original comments:

If I had to do an indoor play gig, I'd opt for 1st thing in the morning. 

Droplets are the primary mechanism for flu spread and they normally stay suspended for less than 10 minutes.  There is some evidence that the virus is also slightly aerosolized (what's referred to as airborne) which lasts longer but the droplets are so small there's not really enough flu in each one to infect you. 

Obviously the hand washing, breathing through nose, and not touching your face with contaminated hands still stands because surface contamination can last 24-48 hours, or up to 72 hours if it's damp.

One more thing... my hospital/university did studies on hand washing vs. hand sanitizer.  We did both constantly, but it was discovered that using the alcohol sanitizer (we used foam) had an ongoing anti-germicidal effect for several hours after using it.  I don't like that stuff so much, but it might not be a bad idea if sending your kids into the pits of a bounce house! 

Hand washing is still the best for removing the germs... but the addition of the sanitizer is a great boost.

Best of luck to all of you and your families staying flu free. 

Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM

I actually bought a diffuser and some essential oils that are supposed to ward off cold/flu bugs. I try to turn it on every day.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Out of curiousity, which EOs are you using?

I have a few. I think tea tree and eucalyptus are supposed to be anti viral. I'm sure there's more tho

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

Out of curiousity, which EOs are you using?

I have a few. I think tea tree and eucalyptus are supposed to be anti viral. I'm sure there's more tho

I'm not sure because its just an "immunity blend" from my local herb shop!

joy.gif

Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 PM

I'd add that getting enough sleep is also crucial to preventing illness, and even a couple nights of interrupted or not enough sleep can leave the body worn down and unable to resist illness.

OP- we do FCLO and bone broth too and those are both great! smile.gif we also are sure to consume daily an adequate amount of the following foods/minerals known to boost the immune system:
raw garlic
raw apple cider vinegar
magnesium (which is best absorbed hyperdermally-through the skin- so we take epsom salt baths and spray on homemade magnesium oil).
Coconut oil
Tumeric
Cinnamon

Hope your family Is doing well and staying healthy! smile.gif

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

User Tag List