3 tips for not getting sick? What do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

One of the articles on the site right now is 3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick.  I have to admit, these are pretty spot on.  What do you think?  What other "family secrets" do you have for keeping your family healthy?

We wash hands a ton.  Make sue everyone is getting plenty of sleep, and really good food.  And I do carry hand sanitizer (the alcohol based kind) for when we are out and may not be able to wash hands.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Honestly...?  I don't know why, but our family rarely gets sick. I've read a few articles on the link between happiness and health so I've often thought it has something to do with it. Be happy, laugh a lot, spend time with friends, indulge a little, play outside in the sun. :love

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have kicked a few colds by taking a lot of vitamin C and calcium lactate supplements but most importantly trying to rest and de-stress!

Athena, mommy to Anastasia hearts.gif(1/18/09) and Genevieve luxlove.gif (1/22/13)

#4 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 PM

We can always use reminders about washing hands, eating well, avoiding sweets & getting good sleep. In my experience, there is nothing better than Cold Nip to stop a cold in it's tracks -- most cold remedies work about 40% of the time -- this one works about 80%.  Also, Six Persimmons Apothecary has a Kid's Immune Tonic designed for kids who tend to get frequent upper respiratory illnesses (ear aches, colds, sore throats, etc.) -- lots of research on this.

#5 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

My tried-and-tested-by-more-than-two-dozen-family-members regimin is as follows:

Vitamin D - make sure your levels are 50-70 ng/ml year-round. If you can't get enough sun then take a supplement to reach that level and maintain it.

Vitamin C crystals powder in a glass of water every 3-4 hours for the first 24 hours. We do 1/2 to 1 tsp  but everyone will have a different level of bowel tolerance and certainly this amount will be less for a child. We often use EmergenC or something similar for children because it tastes better than the straight Vit C crystals powder. 3 times a day thereafter and for 2 days minimum or until feeling better.

Echinacea - 1-2 caps every 3-4 hours for the first 24 and then 3 times a day thereafter and for 2 days minimum or until feeling better. For children I use drops (HerbsForKids is nice) or open the capsule and mix it in honey.

Wash your hands! 

Dr. Mercola often has pretty good recommendations. Here's a video he has on preventing colds and flu.

hippy mum likes this.

#6 of 9 Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Honestly, I've completely given up not getting sick. We wash our hands of course, try to get enough sleep, and take Emergen-C at the first sign of a cold, but otherwise, I don't really do anything to avoid sick people. My son goes to preschool, so it's hopeless anyway. We'd never have a play date and I'd never get to see friends if we avoided each other when our kids were sick. However, I really feel like this year has gone much better than previous years when I've tried to stay away from anyone looking even remotely unwell. We've been sick with colds maybe 2 or 3 times this season and we got a stomach bug back in October, but really everything has been pretty mild and short-lived. My new philosophy is to catch everything in the hope that we'll all develop some form of super-immunity. Maybe not the best idea, but so far it hasn't backfired.

The hot foot bath idea is really interesting and definitely worth trying. I'll throw in the neti pot as well, which is my new best friend when my nose has issues, since I'm pregnant and don't want to take anything.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#7 of 9 Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM

As soon as we eat sugar and miss a little sleep- bam! Someone gets sick. Happens every year if we let our guard down, but what do you do around holiday time. It's a trade off I guess.

#8 of 9 Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 AM

In that article it says brush your teeth first thing. Does that mean instead of after breakfast, or as well as?

We try to make sure we all get enough sleep, that's the most important thing. I also open the windows every morning, no matter how cold it is outside, I throw back the bed clothes and let the beds air with the windows open for a while before making them. We try to get enough exercise and eat well. And if anyone does get sick they get chicken soup :) The only times I've ever taken vitamins I've got sick so I don't give my kids them either. But they don't seem to get as sick as other kids, who knows if it's anything to do with anything I do though.

#9 of 9 Old 01-26-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMama2 View Post

As soon as we eat sugar and miss a little sleep- bam! Someone gets sick. Happens every year if we let our guard down, but what do you do around holiday time. It's a trade off I guess.

Same here, that's why we're sugar free. I here moms complain all the time their kids are always sick and part of being a kid. Um no. Our family gets maybe 1-2 short lived colds a year if that.

We was hands, eat no sugar, eat whole foods as much as possible and if we start to feel unwell I use one or a combo of
Vit c in crystal form
Echinacea
Bro irons cold calm or flu stuff
Elderberry
Traditional medicinal teas
Honey, lemon, garlic
Gse
Vit d

We also take vit c daily as a preventative.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page