why not calamine for chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you use calamine for chicken pox?
Yes, all over 2 100.00%
Yes, but only on some pox and/or not every day 0 0%
No, not at all 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so my 6 yr old is getting over the chicken pox (caught from my husband shingles) and I've been giving him daily oatmeal baths and then putting calamine on EVERY pox at least once a day.  Its kept him extremely comfortable, he's hardly itched, and the spots are so dried out, they did not even fill with fluid or erupt. (He has/had about 150)

Someone on another thread threw out the suggestion to read up on the calamine being suppressive, and I found this page, which states "What not to use"

http://avivahwerner.com/2011/10/16/natural-chickenpox-remedies/

"I’ve always thought of calamine lotion in the same breath as chickenpox, but after learning that it’s suppressive, didn’t go out to buy any for this go around with chicken pox.  While it dried up the lesions, it keeps the toxins from exiting the body through the skin like they need to – you always want to allow the disease to leave the body!"

I had never heard of this and thought I was doing a wonderful thing for him in reducing chances of infection, or scarring.  Does anyone else believe this to be true (that it was wrong to suppress the pox from erupting) and if so, what should I have done instead, just the oatmeal bath alone?

Too late to go back and redo it, I was so happy he is getting through it just fine, but now I'm very curious about what happens when the "toxins aren't released" through the skin as they were supposed to do!

Has anyone else heard of this before, and did you get through chicken pox without calamine?  The oatmeal bath may have been good enough, but, I was trying to do everything I could to reduce the urge to itch, his nails were cut very short, and I was trying to prevent infection and scarring...  I suppose I could have only put the calamine on the worst pox... but I did put it on every one... ok now I can't stop thinking about that  lol

I need input from someone! - and decided to take a poll to see what everyone else used, if you used calamine or not... if not, please say how you did it, if you feel your way worked good! (too late for us, but might benefit someone else)  I answered the poll myself to get it started and see how that works as I wasn't sure it was anonymous or not, but it appears it is :)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I honestly don't know about that.  I feel like the issue with a suppressant is that it would just delay healing. I mean like with fevers, I don't take anything, and I feel like I get over it sooner, but if I take a suppressant, it just keeps coming back.  What I've read is that calamine isn't effective once it dries, so it is no longer recommended.  But I think we are thinking of different approaches to health and healing.  A homeopathic approach would warn against suppressing symptoms, but standard medical approach would be about treating symptoms.

I just had shingles in December.  I didn't actually use anything on my lesions because most of my problems felt like they were under the skin with the nerve pain.  It took an antiviral drug for it, however, so maybe it cleared up more quickly because of that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page