Normal breast bud development? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

My just 9-yo daughter is developing breasts, or seems to be, but the swelling under the right nipple seems very firm and cyst-like and is causing irritation.  The left nipple might or might not be developing, but is soft.  The right *looks* normal, except some redness around the edges where it has been irritated.  It also feels quite a bit larger than last week.  I don't remember developing being like that.

Thoughts and experience?  I flunked "First Loose Baby Tooth" because I didn't think 4.5yo didn't get loose teeth, so I'm hesitant to visit a nurse over this and flunk "Breast Buds 101".  Or is this something that needs a visit?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Its normal to feel like there is a bump under them, and it will be tender, and they can develop one at a time or asymmetrically at first. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  It does all look so normal. I guess I never remember them feeling so firm when I was growing up, so I was surprised.  Every one is different, I suppose

#4 of 5 Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 8.5 year old is in the same boat.  Some days she tells me that her nipples hurt, some days she forgets about them, sometimes she only notices one.  She definitely has breast buds (felt by my DH who is a pediatrician the first time she reported soreness to make sure nothing else was going on...she is young, so he wasn't expecting it!) but I don't believe they are growing fast enough for us to see.  DH said that breast buds definitely feel very firm, almost like a little Frisbee, if that helps.

#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It does help, because frankly I remember nothing like this growing up.  DD had been reading her American Girl body books and it was timely because she identified it almost right away, though she first discovered it from slinking across a wood floor (bam!  ow!)  8-9 seems so young, but I think I was fairly in the middle when I developed at 9.5- 10yo.

We did stop and get her a little cami/bra to help with the chaffing and irritation.  It took me until 8th grade before my mother finally bought me a bra, and I wasn't going to make dd wait if it was causing her discomfort.  They are just a stretchy little sports bra, flat, but she loves them and is more comfortable in them.  She occasionally refers to her "breasts" so I know she is excited and I even had to tell her that at her birthday party people feel awkward talking about a girl's breasts, so keep the excited talk in our immediate family, please.  I swear she would have told everybody!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page