19 y/o with AML - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone, I am actually posting this for a friend. If this would be better posted some where else or X posted please let me know as I will move it.

Her 19yo son has been diagnosed with Leukemia (AML). There are a lot of one step at a time, but it's to my understanding that if he doesn't get a BM transplant he won't make it. (however this could just be a very upset mother hearing the worst.) He has to have a second Bone marrow biopsy tomorrow as well as they were going to take an x-ray of his knee. They figure he will start Chemo next week. (this only came to light on Monday)  He has 1 sibling to try and match. Anyway I have been put in charge of finding out a diet plan or foods he should or needs to eat (or not eat) to keep him as healthy as possible and help his body fight. I have lurked on MDC for  years (I don't have any of my own children, my roommate has 4 I "Share", but I like looking at other peoples ideas and thoughts for if I ever have my own) So I feel that actually asking people who I feel a common...something :) lol. I have tried looking up a few, but if anyone knows any please share. Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
What a hard thing to go through. Hugs to your friend and her son.
Bump
ian'smommaya likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How hard! I don't have any advice, but loving light for your friend.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#4 of 5 Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I researched for my dad.  Raw veggies are good.  Fruit.  Not sure about grapefruit with chemo.  Check that out.  No sugar.  I made my dad shakes.  Young coconut liquid and veggies in a blender.  What about looking into cancer or leukemia forums?  There must be a lot of people who have researched this very thing to help them.  I am sorry to hear about your friends son.  That would be very hard.

#5 of 5 Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Many good thoughts for your friend's son, and your friend.

I'm a breast cancer survivor, and had chemo in 2012. My experience was that wonderful people who loved me brought my family the healthiest imaginable food... and I couldn't eat it. I am not joking when I say that too much broccoli could have landed me in the ER. Chemo does awful things to the digestive tract. They are largely temporary things, but they're a very real concern.

The healthiest diet for a chemo patient is calorically sufficient, easy to digest, and doesn't interact badly with their medications. The patient and the patient's family should ask for a consult with a nutritionist with experience in oncology. Failing that, the focus should be on ease of digestion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page