Bathroom hygiene for kindergartener - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ugh.  My DD always had a fairly good handle on potty habits until this school year.  Now I'm finding that she isn't wiping when she goes pee.  She's lying about it on top of that!  Just today she excused herself from the table to go to the bathroom.  Two minutes later she's out - I say, "Did you wipe, flush, and wash your hands?" as a reminder, but mostly because it's plainly obvious that she didn't flush or wash her hands, and when I go into the bathroom there's no TP in the toilet.  She's already had a friend at school say something - "so and so says they don't like the way my clothes smell."  I have her change her undies upon rising (she showers at night), but she just won't stop the bad hygiene and lies.  I'm about to stop letting her sit on the couch, since I really can't tell when/if she's dirty until it's too late.  I asked her how I could help her to remember.  I asked if she wanted wipes for the bathroom (no).  Now she says her privates hurt when she wipes - I did say that it was probably from NOT wiping and from sitting in wet pants. 

I have no idea where to start with this.  And disclaimer:  there's no abuse occurring.  There's no time when she's not with DH or myself or at the very small school where she's been for three years. 

DD 2/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You're lucky it's just pee. I have a child who still forgets with poop sometimes. 

I wouldn't think that drip drying a couple of times would create that much of an odor in a young child who isn't that sweaty yet. It's weird that it's noticeable. 

With your daughter, it could be a sensory thing, since she said she doesn't like how it feels. Buy the very soft paper and show her how to dab or blot once. If the school paper is rough (I'm guessing it is) she may still skip sometimes..but just a quick dab shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

#3 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot - we had a phase where she wouldn't use more than two squares of TP after accidentally flooding the school bathroom in preschool.  That was yucky. 

But yeah, I don't know how her undies are getting soaked.  We've all drip dried from time to time, but this is a serious amount of urine and so it's smelling.  Bad.

DD 2/08
#4 of 5 Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any chance she is actually waiting too long & starting to pee her pants?

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 5 Old 03-21-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I think it was a combination of everything.  We ended up taking her in and she had a UTI.  Whether it was the cause or the result of the peeing, I don't know.  Things have been better after a course of antibiotics though.

DD 2/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page