Elevated ASO Titers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tissues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some background: My daughter is 7 years old and is allergic to some foods. She has eczema. We are working with homeopathic remedies to try and reduce her sensitivities, but so far her eczema is still really bad. At some point it even got infected with what we believe to have been MRSA. I treated it basically with topical creams and the MRSA went away. But she still has outbreaks of pussy pimples every so often. (MRSA remains dormant in the body.)

The current situation: She has been complaining of fatigue, and while I first attributed it to tiredness, not feeling well, laziness, at some point I took her for blood work to rule out anything physical. The results came back with elevated anti-strep titers. Normal is up to 200, and she has 700. (This does not indicate a current strep infection; rather it indicates that the body is still fighting a past infection - and having a hard time of it... This is how the doctor explained it to me.)

The doctor's recommendation is to treat it with antibiotics for three weeks and then retest her titers. However, I am wary of going this route. She is a fragile child in general; we've been working years on building up her immune system, and I do not want to destroy all that with antibiotics. Additionally, I've done some research and asked around a bit too. It seems that it's not uncommon for the antibiotics not to work and then stronger antibiotics are needed, and then even stronger. Plus, it's also common for the titers to go down as long as the person is taking the antibiotics but as soon as s/he goes off it, the titers go back up. In other words, the person needs to remain on antibiotics indefinitely. Someone related to me that her son is on antibiotics for a year already (!). This is, for sure, not a course I would like to take.

I want to know if anyone has had any experience treating high ASO levels, PANDAS, rheumatic fever, or any other related ailment with alternative medicine. Please share what you did and if it worked. Thank you.

Tissues is offline  
#2 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
 
Tissues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there ANYBODY out there who can help me? geek.gif

Tissues is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I have no experience. But I do want to point out that antibiotics don't need to be all or nothing. You could do the initial recommendation then stop regardless of titers etc. honestly, strep is one of the few things that IMO kids should get antibiotics for. Post-strep glomerulonephritis (kidney disease) or endocarditis (heart infection) are the things I most worry about, although it's rare, but it sounds like your child might be a rare one? Is is penicillin they would use?
swede likes this.
Ratchet is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
Tissues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My child does not currently have strep.

 

To me it seems pointless to put her on antibiotics and not even care if it worked!!! Then why do it in the first place?

 

The doctor prescribed amoxicillin for three weeks.

Tissues is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Risk-benefit balance: I would feel better about my DD being on a limited spectrum, relatively safe Antibiotic versus a broad spectrum, more toxic one. And I would be less concerned about the damage of one course of antibiotics versus multiple courses. It sounds like your doctor thinks this is clearly beneficial as compared to the risks (because of course the antibiotics have risks) and you are uncertain about that balance- so just saying, it's a balance not a yes/no IMO.

It's not about treating current strep, I know- who cares if a sore throat lasts a day longer. It's the post-strep illnesses that make strep one I would want to treat with abx (in contrast to many ear infections, bronchitis, etc)

I'm sorry there's not more BTDT mamas here though- sounds like a tough decision to have to make.
Ratchet is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off