Child hair loss and no growth 4 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my daughter is 4,
Until 2 1/2 she was pretty much bald and started getting and inch or two if hair by three, then she lost over half of it by the time she was 3 1/2. It started thickening up again but now this week she has been shedding lots again, if you gently pull on any bit of hair on her head around the front or sides it just comes straight out.
Last year we took her to the docs, who referred us to a dermatologist, they said all was fine & not to worry , they took hair samples and the were all fine too. We went to a tricholgist who said it was telogen effluvium and would resolve itself.
The docs said she seems otherwise healthy, has good teeth and nails and skin, eats well etc so not to worry about hair as if will sort when she is older,
She goes school in a few months and only has 2 inches of hair at the back and 1cm or so on the sides, she'd Is often mistaken for a boy and gets upset and says why can't she just have hair like her friends.
Feeling so down for her, I don't wanna keep taking her docs if they keep saying she's fine as it is making a deal out of it infront of her and I want her to be confident . Has anyone heard of or experiences anything similar with their kids?
#2 of 3 Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I have no experience but was just wondering if you could make her short hair into a cool style like shorter on the side kinda mohawky ? I dunno I was just offering some hugs and possible support and thinking how I might approach my daughter if she were in your daughters shoes.
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you
Hmm may google some short hair ideas. I have bought her some new flowery headbands and she was really pleased, should help her fell girly,
Hopefully time will help
X

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page