constant stomach ache 9yr old boy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 9yr old ds has been complaining of stomach pains for the past few months.  He explains the pain as having knots and he sometimes feels nauseous.  He is so uncomfortable that he has stopped wearing underwear and walks around with his pants unbuttoned for most of the day.  We have tried eliminating dairy (though he doesn't drink milk really)  and cut down on sugar.  The pain subsided for a couple of weeks after we saw our homeopath for ds's constitutional remedy but, now the pain is back. I should mention that his stools are normal and regular.  

Any advice would be helpful.  I feel awful seeing how the stomach aches effect his day to day living.  

#2 of 5 Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM

First thing that comes to mind is stress. Any chance he is upset about something? Difficult teacher? Bully? Family struggles? Something else?

Have you tried ulcer friendly diets?

Maybe a chiropractor can help. One of the signs for needing an adjustment is digestive issues. I know you said he is regular, but the pain may indicate a misalignment.

A doctor told me once that children don't differentiate well, and all mid body pain is often called "my belly hurts". Is it possible the pain is in a subtle place and is being referred? Maybe a hernia? Or a pulled ligament near a hip?

In any case, it sounds like being checked out is a good idea.
#3 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
A few months is a bit long but you could try Googling mesenteric adenitis.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 5 Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 PM

Hi there,

We have been through the wringer on this one...we have two kids, now diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  Keep him on gluten until you have him tested.  It's the most common Autoimmune Disease, but only 5% diagnosis rate.  Celiac.org has a great set of documents to help you.  Also, Celiac.com's forums are amazing.

After we tackled that and everything was fine for 6 months, we went through the wringer again...and after 18 months, figured out one of the girls has an almond allergy...

Hugs!

#5 of 5 Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice.

I ended up taking my ds to a pediatric acupuncturist which mentioned that my ds was very tense in his abdomen and pulse.  

We were prescribed herbs and breathing exercises.  So far the pain has been much better.  However, the pain has not subsided completely.  Our homeopath wants us to get an ultrasound if the pain isn't completely gone in a couple of weeks.  

I will definitely ask our homeopath ( she is also an MD) about Celiac and mesenteric adenitis.

Intuitively, I am thinking it's stress.  We started homeschooling this year and there's been a lot of change.  

That said, I am not ruling out anything physical.

Thanks again mamas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page