what can and cant school nurses do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
what can and cant school nurses do?

Im hoping this is the appropriate forum to post in...We homeschooled for kindergarten and are planning on doing public school for first grade. But i was just thinking about how the school nurse would treat situations? Would they ever givbe my child medicine without my consent? Hes never had any type of medicine, not even tylenol. Im also wondering about things like antibiotic ointment and treating wounds etc. i just have no clue what to expect and i know that i treat things at home very differently than a nurse would.
#2 of 4 Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Nurses aren't allowed to administer medications without prescriptions for the most part and they don't administer tylenol or ibuprofen without written consent. They don't do much for most kids beyond basic first aid. Most medical interventions require a doctor's order.
#3 of 4 Old 06-03-2014, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
My experience with child cares and schools is that they will absolutely not give medication, not even OTC stuff like tylenol, without parental consent.

As far as I can tell, the nurse's main job at my child's school is to call parents when kids bonk their heads on the playground. She also has a stash of loaner clothes for kids who have accidents. She cannot administer tylenol, motrin, aspirin, or anything for which she doesn't have a prescription from the child's physician. They're super paranoid about potential allergies, so I'd be surprised if they were putting anything on cuts and scrapes (besides soap, water and bandaids).
#4 of 4 Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
They had me check boxes and sign regarding blanket consent or refusal for a number of first aid type things in the starting paperwork.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page