Bug bite with ring around it? Mosquito vs. tick bite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bug bite with ring around it? Mosquito vs. tick bite?

Hey mamas,
My 6 year old was at the park yesterday and acquired what I thought were several mosquito bites on her leg. They were very itchy this morning, so we put some baking soda paste on them. This evening they look like this - https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3922/...bb421c38_b.jpg
The rings around them freak me out a bit as we are in an area with a lot of ticks. But, they otherwise look like skeeter bites to me. Any one experience this?

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#2 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would get that checked out. That ring does not look like a mosquito bite. Call the dr and get a Lyme test.

#3 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Oh yeah you'd better get that checked for Lyme, if it is Lyme you NEED to catch it early.
#4 of 5 Old 06-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Oh yeah you'd better get that checked for Lyme, if it is Lyme you NEED to catch it early.
The Lyme disease rash doesn't appear that quickly after a tick bite (about 3 days seems to be the minimum), so if you know your DD got those bites yesterday, Lyme seems very unlikely. You also can't test this soon after a bite.
#5 of 5 Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That is, IMO, a classic bulls eye rash of Lyme. If she is seen (and I think she should be) they will almost certainly prescribe antibiotics. They won't test b/c it's too soon, and with a rash that classic it is recommended to treat without testing. She was probably bit before getting the bug bites- that's just coincidence. I believe very strongly in antibiotics for Lyme.

ETA: do ALL the bites look like that? I just realized there was more than 1. The other 1 in the photo doesn't have the same look. Also- bug bites will change how they look day to day. If the bullseye is still the same a day after the pic is taken, it would be more classically Lyme.

Last edited by Ratchet; 06-23-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page