stomach pain in 8 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stomach pain in 8 yr old

Hello,
My 8 yr old has had a stomach ache (in his actual stomach area--not around his belly button or lower abdomen). We've taken him to the doc a number of times as its going on 3 weeks now. He's not eating much and isn't really himself, but he's not had any fever or diarrhea. The doc suggested constipation so we've given him a ton of miralax, but it doesn't help. He says its actual pain and nausea, and it pretty much has stayed consistent the entire time. Has anyone gone through something similar with their child? He threw up once when this started 3 weeks ago, and then again a few days ago when I gave him a natural laxative that I think upset his stomach. A stomach xray didn't show anything other than his intestines were full (which had originally put us down the path of it being constipation). Waiting now to hear back about his blood tests, which included celiac, lymes, h.pylori, etc.
#2 of 4 Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
My daughter has had similar issues. She's almost 9 now. We've been off and on with these issues for years and they kept sending us home saying constipation. I finally snapped and got an appt myself with a pediatric GI. We did the full scope - xrays, colonoscopy/sigmoid, lab tests, celiac testing (supposedly gene testing too but it's the one thing I never saw results of ???). We ended up being sent home with a DX of lactose intolerance and a script for Miralax and Bentyl for the stomach pain. We're waiting on a new doctor we'll be seeing soon to confirm everything and check her better. Have you considered lactose intolerance in him though? It could be the cause and is worth trying. Our dd is much better now off the milk but still has other concerns that we went for as well so we're still dealing with medical issues.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crazyms,
yes absolutely I'm considering food allergies. We're waiting to hear what the celiac test said. I may just cut out gluten, lactose, soy anyway to see how that helps. I'm so sorry your dd has had these issues for years! I hope you get to the bottom of it. Its really hard watching our kids be uncomfortable.
#4 of 4 Old 07-18-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Yes it is! Have you heard anything else on your little one yet?

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page