stomach pain in 8 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stomach pain in 8 yr old

Hello,
My 8 yr old has had a stomach ache (in his actual stomach area--not around his belly button or lower abdomen). We've taken him to the doc a number of times as its going on 3 weeks now. He's not eating much and isn't really himself, but he's not had any fever or diarrhea. The doc suggested constipation so we've given him a ton of miralax, but it doesn't help. He says its actual pain and nausea, and it pretty much has stayed consistent the entire time. Has anyone gone through something similar with their child? He threw up once when this started 3 weeks ago, and then again a few days ago when I gave him a natural laxative that I think upset his stomach. A stomach xray didn't show anything other than his intestines were full (which had originally put us down the path of it being constipation). Waiting now to hear back about his blood tests, which included celiac, lymes, h.pylori, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
My daughter has had similar issues. She's almost 9 now. We've been off and on with these issues for years and they kept sending us home saying constipation. I finally snapped and got an appt myself with a pediatric GI. We did the full scope - xrays, colonoscopy/sigmoid, lab tests, celiac testing (supposedly gene testing too but it's the one thing I never saw results of ???). We ended up being sent home with a DX of lactose intolerance and a script for Miralax and Bentyl for the stomach pain. We're waiting on a new doctor we'll be seeing soon to confirm everything and check her better. Have you considered lactose intolerance in him though? It could be the cause and is worth trying. Our dd is much better now off the milk but still has other concerns that we went for as well so we're still dealing with medical issues.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

crazyms,
yes absolutely I'm considering food allergies. We're waiting to hear what the celiac test said. I may just cut out gluten, lactose, soy anyway to see how that helps. I'm so sorry your dd has had these issues for years! I hope you get to the bottom of it. Its really hard watching our kids be uncomfortable.
#4 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Yes it is! Have you heard anything else on your little one yet?

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#5 of 7 Old 10-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Its hard to see your kid in pain. Since your still waiting for test result. You may try castor oil health benefits, it reduces stomach pain. Oil substance helps to at least relieve any pain.
#6 of 7 Old 10-06-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We've gone through something similar twice - it definitely sucks because stomach pain can be so many things.

The first time with DD2, we thought it might be lactose intolerance, but it ended up being allergies, mainly to dust mites. She was swallowing a lot of mucus and that caused her stomach to hurt. Fortunately, she seems to be growing out of it now (diagnosed in kindergarten, growing out of it starting 5th grade or so).

When DD1 went through this recently, we had the gamut of tests. DD1 was/is taking a prescription antacid to help with the pain. There was some suspicion of celiac because it runs in the family, but when all the testing culminated in an endoscopy, that was totally clean for everything medical. She is now being treated for anxiety.

The advice we got from our pediatric allergist was NOT to remove any food groups unless you see an immediate/known reaction (e.g., throws up when he drinks milk - yes, then cut it out). This is so that they can keep getting maximum nutrition while they are not feeling well and probably not eating normal quantities. Also she said that blood tests for food allergies can be somewhat unreliable, and it takes considerable time to do the elimination tests properly. Celiac takes the biopsy for 100% certainty, as far as I understand it. It turned out to be good advice in both cases since neither DD turned out to be lactose or gluten intolerant.

Good luck with this. I know how frustrating it can be to go from doctor to doctor trying to get help.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Last edited by Ragana; 10-06-2014 at 11:30 AM.
#7 of 7 Old 10-21-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
aim4balance, any luck in getting a solution to the problem?

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page