would you let your kid attend a school that is under construction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
would you let your kid attend a school that is under construction?

We have homeschooled for kindergarten, but my son would like to go to public school for first grade. I have just learned that the school will be under construction for the next three years due to a leaky roof among other things. the construction will take place at night and weekends.

my concern is my sons health. it will obviously be a transition for him being exposed to many germs he hadnt before, but now on top of that im worried about mold and dust from construction. am i being overly paranoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Probably not. If they were trying to repair quickly then yes or if it had a reputation of being an amazing school and were partnering with a university to maintain best practices then I would consider it. It doesn't sound like this is the case though.

I've attended schools like this and they had actual health hazards that were fixed only after a zoning attempt to put kids together by ses rather than proximity to schools made the community irate. The teachers were very good but that's because it was a small town with a teaching college so they were able to be choosy about hiring and good teachers were willing to take the job because the travel time wasn't great and crime wasn't an issue. In some places it's hard to get experienced teachers because crime and travel time make the positions less desirable. They tend to get new and unqualified teachers instead. If that is the case for this school I would look for other options.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
the school is in nyc, and seems, for the most, a great community to be apart of. However, because we applied late, we wont be able to have a tour. Does anyone know of some good questions to ask the administration that would help me learn more about how the construction will affect to health of the kids?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Ask about old paint. Is there lead?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I'd ask which roofs are leaking, is it just the roof to the building or are some of the ceilings in lower level classrooms leaking because of damage. I'd ask about the quality of the pipes, my brother was in a classroom that was moved due to toilet pipes from the floor above leaking in. It would also probably be good to know whether the damage affects the heating and cooling system.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
We have homeschooled for kindergarten, but my son would like to go to public school for first grade. I have just learned that the school will be under construction for the next three years due to a leaky roof among other things. the construction will take place at night and weekends.

my concern is my sons health. it will obviously be a transition for him being exposed to many germs he hadnt before, but now on top of that im worried about mold and dust from construction. am i being overly paranoid?
Lots of schools that aren't under repair have mold and dust.

I'm certain your son will be safe from lead paint, and sewage leaks should be addressed promptly.

IMO, this is a minor issue. A child living in NYC is exposed to plenty of environmental pollution on a daily basis, and six-year-olds are well past the age when every fever and sniffle is a crisis. If this is his first exposure to group care, he will get sick a few times throughout the year, but unless he has a health problem you haven't mentioned, a few days of rest at home will set him right.

Do you want him to go to school? I think you need to be honest with yourself and with your son if you think school is not the best choice for his education.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: would you let your kid attend a school that is under construction?

I do not even think of doing something like that. As I can not risk my kid's life. I will do nothing like that.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Seeing as he is young and is coming from HSing (so presumably does not have any firm friendships at the school) - no.

I would spend too much time worrying about it. I would just pick another school.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateQueen View Post
Lots of schools that aren't under repair have mold and dust.

I'm certain your son will be safe from lead paint, and sewage leaks should be addressed promptly.

IMO, this is a minor issue. A child living in NYC is exposed to plenty of environmental pollution on a daily basis, and six-year-olds are well past the age when every fever and sniffle is a crisis. If this is his first exposure to group care, he will get sick a few times throughout the year, but unless he has a health problem you haven't mentioned, a few days of rest at home will set him right.

Do you want him to go to school? I think you need to be honest with yourself and with your son if you think school is not the best choice for his education.
???

Why on earth would you be certain he is safe from lead, mold, etc? Lead bits fly around when they are disturbed - and construction disturbs things. Undisturbed mold is an issue - disturbed mold is even more of one.

What does the fact he lives in NYC have to do with anything? If, indeed, he is exposed to plenty of environmental pollution (I am not sure that is true, btw) then why would you add to it? If it is true it might make sense to lessen exposure rather than increase it.

Lastly, she has not mentioned any hesitancy around sending him to school. You are reading into things. Her question was about schools as construction zones.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
???

Why on earth would you be certain he is safe from lead, mold, etc? Lead bits fly around when they are disturbed - and construction disturbs things. Undisturbed mold is an issue - disturbed mold is even more of one.

What does the fact he lives in NYC have to do with anything? If, indeed, he is exposed to plenty of environmental pollution (I am not sure that is true, btw) then why would you add to it? If it is true it might make sense to lessen exposure rather than increase it.

Lastly, she has not mentioned any hesitancy around sending him to school. You are reading into things. Her question was about schools as construction zones.
Schools have to follow OSHA regulations like everyone else. The teachers union and the construction workers' union aren't going to let those things fly, and I know that teachers' unions, at least, are very strong in NY.

I am reading into things. I felt that the OP's concern was more reflective of her reluctance to send her son to school than the actual hazards of the school as a construction zone. We're talking about a first grader here. If mom is having reservations about school, I'm inclined to defer to her judgment. She shouldn't feel she needs an excuse to continue homeschooling if that's what is right for her family. Are you opposed to homeschooling?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateQueen View Post

I am reading into things. I felt that the OP's concern was more reflective of her reluctance to send her son to school than the actual hazards of the school as a construction zone. We're talking about a first grader here. If mom is having reservations about school, I'm inclined to defer to her judgment. She shouldn't feel she needs an excuse to continue homeschooling if that's what is right for her family. Are you opposed to homeschooling?
I HS one child and have 2 in school. I am pro-HSing in general, but I think school is fine if it is a good fit for the family.

I have been on MDC a long time, and people tend to start reading into things easily (IMHO) when it comes to HSing…and sometimes they are reading into things that aren't there. I simply did not want this thread to become a HSing debate post, when it was intended to be about construction issues.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Let's assume that nycmom18 is posting to ask about health concerns and nothing more and keep this discussion focused on that. If she has any concerns about homeschooling or public schooling she can post about that in the Learning at Home and Beyond forum or the Learning at School forum. This disussion is in the Child & Teen Health forum so let's keep the topic focused on her specific question.

User Tag List