Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Child & Teen Health (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17516-child-teen-health/)
-   -   How do I cancel consent for treatment of my 14 year old at a health clinic? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17516-child-teen-health/1442401-how-do-i-cancel-consent-treatment-my-14-year-old-health-clinic.html)

missmelancholy 08-19-2014 12:32 PM

How do I cancel consent for treatment of my 14 year old at a health clinic?

I went into a health clinic at the high school, for what I thought would be a physical that my son needed for entry to school. They took my insurance information and surprised me with some additional extras, like a well check, risk assessment, including pushing the hpv and meningiccocal vaccines. They just said to me that he's going to need these two vaccines, and if I didn't know any better, my son would've walked out of there vaccinated with 2 vaccines he didn't need. I also found out through them that in IL teens can get the hpv vaccine without parental consent. May I add, I am 100% against the vaccine and found this information very disturbing. I explained that I was only there for a physical which is all he needed for school entry, they could tell I was frustrated. Any way when I left the office, I was left wondering if I had signed him up for any additional services that I wasn't aware of and I didn't want them to have access to my son since the clinic is located inside the high school and I had signed a form, for what I thought was for that day's visit only, and now they could just bill my insurance. So I called and it turns out that he's a patient there now and will be called in for yearly visits. I told them immediately that I do not want any services from them and asked how to cancel the consent. They said they would note it on my file, and that no other actions were needed, but I'm wondering is there something more official that I should do because they still have that letter of consent I signed.

Mirzam 08-19-2014 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had to not initial a paragraph in the parent sign-off sheet which gave the school permission to do additional 'health related screenings". However, there is no health clinic at my DS's high school.

blessedwithboys 08-19-2014 03:41 PM

I think you know better than to trust some stranger who WANTS your kid to get vaxxed to put a note in his file.

Bring it in on paper. Signed by a lawyer if you can afford it.

applejuice 08-21-2014 08:21 PM

I suggest that you mail it as a certified letter with a return address card, verification of delivery, with the certified letter number on the letter and a cc to your lawyer if you can afford it with a letter from your attorney if you can afford it.

Emphatically tell your child not to let anyone at the school give him/her anything as a procedure, exam, drug or injection unless you are present. And of course, if you are present, that is not going to happen unless that is what you want.

stormborn 08-22-2014 04:05 AM

Couldn't you go back and just tell them that there has been a mistake and ask for the consent form back? Even if the shots weren't an issue I would be very irate that by requesting a one time entry physical they signed my child up as a regular patient, and they would be hearing about it! Sounds like they took a trick from the cellphone companies. :[
In the meantime I would make sure your son knows that he's not to go there even if they call him in.

ocelotmom 08-22-2014 08:43 AM

Check the laws in your state. It is quite likely that your son can consent to at least some of their services on his own. In particular, the HPV vaccine - reproductive health is an area where teens are widely able to give consent for themselves. These laws are in place to help encourage teens to seek appropriate healthcare when they may not be able, for whatever reason, to approach their parents about it.

I would let my son know why I didn't think the vaccine is a good idea, and that it's ultimately his choice (assuming that is the case), but that he has the right to refuse if he is approached about it and doesn't want it.

KSLaura 08-24-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocelotmom (Post 17943202)
Check the laws in your state. It is quite likely that your son can consent to at least some of their services on his own. In particular, the HPV vaccine - reproductive health is an area where teens are widely able to give consent for themselves. These laws are in place to help encourage teens to seek appropriate healthcare when they may not be able, for whatever reason, to approach their parents about it.

I would let my son know why I didn't think the vaccine is a good idea, and that it's ultimately his choice (assuming that is the case), but that he has the right to refuse if he is approached about it and doesn't want it.

I definately think it is appropriate for a 14YO to start thinking about their own health issues. I agree about educating your son on health choices (esp vaccines). He should be old enough to see an adult coming towards him with a needle and tell them no. Just make sure he knows exactly what his rights are. Only 4 more years, and he will be making ALL of these decisions on his own. :)

stormborn 08-24-2014 08:35 PM

Oh, I missed that he's high school age. As long as he knows he has the right to refuse no matter what 'authority figure' he's dealing with it shouldn't be an issue. I would probably revoke consent anyway, just because it would bother me that they were tricky about the fine print.

peaceful_mama 08-31-2014 11:56 AM

Revoke that consent form, both by going to get it AND giving a notarized letter with proof they received it. AND educate your son on his rights, because they *still* could try to do something. But in the end, it may be legally his right to get it if he wants to.