• 2 Post By Asiago
  • 1 Post By Summit2Ocean
  • 1 Post By Mylie
  • 1 Post By Summit2Ocean

#1 of 8 Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question lyme, lupus, juvenile arthritis...

We recently took our 3yo in for ongoing joint pain that sort of comes and goes in his left hand, right foot, and both knees. He is only 3 1/2 so it took a while for us to be able to get a clear picture of what exactly was hurting, but it has been going on for well over a year. Also, he gets high fevers that last a few days. He gets splotchy on his face and sometimes has small dots that come and go on his abdomen and limbs. He seems to be very sensitive to blood sugar. And most heartbreaking, he just is really cranky and emotionally delicate. Not the mellow fellow we knew as a baby. Our doc thinks JRA, but is also testing for lyme, lupus, and autoimmune inflammation in general. Anyone have experience with these things, or the diagnosis process, in your children?
applejuice likes this.

Last edited by Summit2Ocean; 09-01-2014 at 05:27 PM.
#2 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My niece has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. She is now 22. Before she was finally diagnosed, my sister was accused repeatedly of beating her, because her bones were easily broken. My niece had episodes of unconsciousness. She had tetany and she had seizures.

The medicines injured her vocal chords, so she needed speech therapy when she went to school in addition to the adaptive physical education as part of her IEP; I always suspected that the medication they were giving her was either given wrongly or too much or the wrong kind which probably caused the damage to her vocal chords, but then what do I know? She wore ankle supports for a long time. She was hospitalized many times when she was growing up. My niece knew that people would wait on her and pitied her, so she became very lazy and she expects people to help her now, so watch out for that aspect of learning self-sufficiency.

If blood sugar/diabetes is a concern for your little one, remember that cortisone/steriods are part of the treatment for JRA and that kind of medication will also aggravate a diabetic condition.

I am sorry if I cannot help you more. Good luck.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. We now have a positive ANA blood test results, x-rays are normal. The rest of his blood work (so far) has been normal, so no lyme for certain, and blood counts, etc. are fine. Doc thinks it's JRA, but he has never had stiffness, limping, or swelling. Only pain. Very difficult process for me. I feel so unsure.
#4 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
And you did not ask, but to keep in mind if your little one has JRA, because of her condition, my niece cannot have live virus vaccines, so the MMR, varicella, Yellow fever, rotavirus, and flumist are out. And yes, a side effect of the MMR is to have rheumatoid arthritis.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Last edited by applejuice; 09-06-2014 at 08:24 AM.
#5 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Did he have the MMR vaccination? Chronic arthritis can occur as a side effect and it is not uncommon to have painful, swollen joints for a short period after the vaccine. If you search "painful legs, limp, MMR vaccine" you will find more, also include rash.
Mirzam and applejuice like this.
#6 of 8 Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

applejuice, thank you, I did not realize that about the vaccines. If it turns out to be JRA we will keep that in mind.

Asiago, he hasn't had MMR recently. He had his MMR shot over a year ago, and in our opinion, it is was started his ongoing pain. We did know about temporary arthralgia that could last up to 3 months, so figured that was what he had at first. After 3 months, we took him to the doctor who said it was growing pains, but by then he was also having pain in one of his hands and one of his feet in addition to the knees. I have never heard of growing pains in those small joints. I think he was basically blowing me off. We waited a year and monitored it, and brought him in to a new doctor who is listening, but the MMR part of it is, from a medical standpoint, "coincidence".
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just a little something to think about just in case...My now 7 year old little girl had all those symptoms and more...by the time she was 6 months old we were seeing "flags"...luckily I had been through a lot of this with my son...it turned out to be a gluten allergy...it was causing the leg pains, rashes, failure to thrive ect...she kept testing negative on the blood test but her Ped said it wasn't uncommon and has said even a couple years ago she probably would have been diagnosed with JRA if we hadn't of known....

I hope you get to the bottom of it...and your baby feels better...
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mylie, thank you for that information. I will take that to heart. I've been talking with my husband about removing gluten from our kids diet. I have removed it from mine because of a positive allergy blood test to it, and it made a big difference in my health. I have been wondering if it could be a factor in my son's issues.
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page