Mothering Forum banner

study finds blood sugar crash to be myth?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  marsupial-mom 
#1 ·
Hi,
There is a debate at my daughter's school about a policy that states that snacks brought for an entire class must be of certain qualifications in order to avoid a "blood sugar crash."

One mother, in particular, has stated studies have shown that blood sugar crashing is a myth, doesn't happen and can't be a part of the policy because it's a "HUGE" myth.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to any studies that might support the blood sugar crash phenom?

I have tried to find some on my own but am not very good at internet searching!
Thanks for any tips or info!

Reactions: applejuice
#2 ·
I am not sure about studies but I do know from personal experience that it is 'real'! Two of my children (but not the third) also experienced this when they were little and were too young to 'know' that this is what was happening.

#3 ·
Definitely! My husband is a pre-school teacher and he says it happens to his more sugar sensitive kids, but it's just anecdotal, y'know?
But I agree it happens, for sure!

Reactions: applejuice
#5 ·
My son's school has rules about snacks too but they're simply based on overall health and allergies; they don't reference "blood sugar crash." Basically, there's a preference for fruits, veggies, whole grains. The sugary foods and nuts are restricted. I guess I'm saying why refer to a "blood sugar crash" when you can just talk about overall health.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.