Mothering Forum banner

puzzled by my child`s symptoms

Tags
ear face
966 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mylie 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a beautiful, bright 2, almost 3-year-old daughter. For the past month she`s been having some strange symptoms. She rubs her eyes, ears and temples and sometimes her whole head. At first I thought she was just tired but it happens randomly quite a few times a day.
She`s been sick with a cold and ran a fever for a few days and is on meds including antibiotics. But the face/eye/ear rubbing started way before that.
I`ve mentioned this to her doctor who just brushed me off saying it`s probably allergies. But she doesn`t have eczema or any kind of rash anywhere. In fact even when she rubs her face it doesn`t leave a mark.
Today she told me she felt like there was water in her ear but it cleared up after a drink of water. :scratch her ears were checked last time as well and they did not find an infection.
What could this be? A few weeks ago she fell a few times and hit her head/face but she did not faint or vomit.
sorry for rambling it`s hard to summarize things.

#2 ·
My first thought would be ear infection but shes on antibiotics so that's pretty slim, sinus infection would cause pressure to the eyes, ears nose and forehead areas but so can allergies. If she has been sick she maybe feeling her nasal cavities draining as the illness clears up but she could also have this sensation with allergies you could try some Claritin for allergies and see if it works. My next thought is she is dizzy or having dizzy spells (vertigo) if its an eye issue she maybe rubbing her eyes trying to get them to adjust like when you first wake up, this can also cause headaches when she is straining to see or she has an inner ear issue causing the vertigo which can be easily treated by any chiropractor. Third thought is if she has any teeth coming in especially molars or back teeth these can cause all these symptoms and also make her seem sick. sorry for the ramblings I hope you figure it out, good luck.

#3 ·
Thank you. All of your thoughts have been roaming through my mind as well. Anything is possible. Probably not an ear infection as her ears have been checked and cleaned and the doctor said not to worry. Allergies are possible as well. Her symptoms started with the hay fever season (we live in Japan). I can have her tested for allergies at our local ped`s office.
I`ve been thinking about getting her eyes checked. When we drive into a tunnel or the lights are turned off she says she cannot see anything. What that really means I don`t know cause she is only 2. She had a bad runny nose and probably sinus issues but that has cleared up.

#4 ·
If it just started with allerhy season I would say allergies...You can have that itchy, floaty, pressure and clogged ear feeling without having an infection...I get it so bad in the winter months that I have to stay away from dairy 100% or I cant hear a thing...I have during those Times been checked but no infection yet my ears are plugged with pressure in my face and floaty dizzy episodes for weeks at a time...

Hope you get it figured out.... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.