Mothering Forum banner

Seven Year Old with Stomach Pain

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JamieCatheryn 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm hoping some ladies here can help me. I have a seven year old daughter who has complained about belly pain for the last two months. Last month she went to the ER thinking she was having am appendicitis, but the doctor diagnosed her with a UTI and sent her home. So two weeks later, her symptoms reappear and we took her to urgent care. They said she had white blood cells in her urine and gave her abx for a UTI. This time they cultured the urine sample and found no bacteria.

Okay so a few days afterwards she again complained of belly pain. Took her to the doctor again, diagnosed with UTI and found no bacteria in her culture. I asked the doctor to check her appendix and my dd passed the preliminary tests.

She saw her pediatrician two weeks ago and she said my dd is constipated. So my question is what is causing white blood cells in the urine? No one wants to do a catscan on her because they think it's unnecessary.

I was thinking she might be having sensitivity to gluten and dd has been gluten free for a week but still has belly pain. Does anyone else have similar experience? Please advise. My next step is to remove milk from her diet but the white blood cells in her urine remains unanswered. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any answer for you but wanted you to know you were heard!

The first thing I always wonder with regard to lab tests is what is normal and are there variations on normal? Sometimes I think too much research is done on disease and not enough on health, so I get curious if there are more variations on what we should have for blood counts and stuff than is promoted.

THat said, if her WBC count is really elevated, have they thought about general inflammation somewhere in her gut that is causing this? Not my area of expertise, but things like ulcers, crohn's, etc.

Another thing I have been hearing a lot about lately is abdominal migraines. I don't know a lot about it but I've had several people diagnosed recently; it may be they're getting better at diagnosing it or that it is becoming more prevalent. That wouldn't explain the WBC count, but it is just another thing to consider.

#3 ·
Sounds like something related to inflammation to me or possibly cysts, with white blood cells up without sign of infection anywhere. Can you get them to ultrasound her? The bladder especially since it seems urinary to them. And if it seems at all digestive related do a strict elimination diet right away, look into Whole30, autoimmune protocol, or GAPS as good options. This much pain you wouldn't want to mess around with dropping one possible trigger at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.