Mothering Forum banner

Hayfever appearing with puberty?

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  pokeyac 
#1 ·
My oldest has been miserable with allergies. Although I have allergy problems (seasonal and dust), he has never exhibited this kind of problem. I can only guess that puberty has brought these symptoms to the forefront. He just turned 13, voice is deepening, etc.

Claritin does not cut it. I have had him taking Benadryl every morning. It is best if I can dose him a couple hours before he is up and moving around. Otherwise it takes an hour or more for the symptoms (sneezing, running eyes) to calm. Most days, I don't have to repeat the dose after it wears off. He dislikes the drowsy, drugged feeling (who can blame him) but is just so happy to have the attack stop.

The poor kid. I am thinking about taking him to the doc to put him on something to control the symptoms without the fog of sleepiness but.....

Should I be trying other things first? I know local, raw honey is supposed to help. I don't know how to give him this supplement so it is effective. What would you recommend?

#2 ·
There are other allergy medications that last 24 hours like Zyrtec. They don't have the drowsiness effect. You should also look at what environmental things may be causing problems like the dust and if you have pets, etc. Quercetin and bromelain can also be helpful for allergies.

#3 ·
I suppose if I go to the doc, they will just suggest a different 24 allergy med- like Zyrtec. So many of these are OTC. It would be a process of trial and error with the doctor so I might as well cut the middle man, right?

I am pretty sure the main culprit is pollen. I started losing it at the end of June when the grass pollen count was high. I am starting to feel better now but his symptoms have continued.

We do have pets inside. A cockatiel, a mouse and 2 guinea pigs. The mouse is in his room. He does clean after it regularly and hasn't had a problem previously. He has had many mice for over 2 years but we pared down to his favorite. The drama of litters of mice was too much.

You mentioned Quercetin and bromeliad. I am unfamiliar with these. Are these drugs or supplements of some sort. Please elaborate.

#4 ·
Benadryl sucks. Yes, allergies do suddenly become overt with events like the onset of puberty and pregnancy.

You are right, an allergy doctor will do a fair bit of just repeating what you already know, but there are prescription medications that might work better than over-the-counter. They also can help with finding the right dosage for over-the-counter medications and prescription meds.

They can help narrow down the allergen, and if it is just grass your son could try allergy shots. Apparently (and I truly have not done more detailed research beyond what my doc told me) grass shots have a higher rate of success than shots for other allergens.

Living with environmental allergens needs to come with mitigating residual pollen inside the home. Yu can get much of that information outside of a doctor, but if his symptoms are that bad, I would get a referral and a diagnosis.

I would not rely on raw, local honey (though, really, how bad is it to try anyway and bring out your inner Pooh-bear?) Here's the problem as I see it: the environmental allergens that plague us are from wind-pollinated plants. Yes we can be allergic to bee pollinated plants (I have an intense reaction to rhododendron pollen) but pollen from those plants is heavy. You need to be near the plant and probably bashing around inside of it (I was a professional gardener). Pollen from wind-pollinated plants is prodigious and *light* so it can be carried on the wind or even dew as it evaporates off the plant in the morning. The only way local, raw honey is going to help is if the pollen from those plants accidentally gets trapped in the honey as (duh.. :p ) bees aren't collecting it.

I am all for honey (mmmm....) but really, as someone with allergies that get intense, this is not my go-to treatment.

Reactions: campbellsoup
#5 ·
OK, SweetSilver, I think you convinced me. My son has been begging but I am notoriously stubborn about doctor visits. I am very sympathetic. My allergies can be a beast. And thanks for the grass shot tidbit. Didn't know that. I am prego now but maybe next grass season it would be worth looking into getting a shot or two. I have joked that my baby might be born with an addiction to Benadryl.

Getting back to the honey thing. I like your clarification. Makes sense. We do live on 5 1/2 acres with about 3 of those being an area we are naturalizing. So lots and lots of weedy, pollen-y things in close proximity. I wonder if our situation would make the chances of honey helping more likely. (For me too) Don't worry. I am thinking in addition to a doctor visit and meds. If we did give it a go, do you know the protocol or where I can find that info?

#6 ·
First make an appointment with the allergist because it will likely be a while before you can get in to see the allergist.
While you are waiting for the appointment, try the things that the allergist will tell you to try anyway.
Try Nasal Sinus Rinse.
Research how to minimize allergies for indoor pets. It may not have been a problem before, but it might be a problem now.
At the same time, try either Zyrtec or Allegra for a week or two.
If the antihistimine does not work well, then switch to the antihistimine that you didn't try and give it a try.
Consider buying an allergenic pillow case to protect against dust mites and see if that helps.

That way, when you get to the allergist appointment, you can move on to the remedies of what you need his expertise for, like prescription medications.

#7 ·
Allergy shots are a series of shots. It is not one "vaccination". The shots are prepared just for the patient, and they are given every single week for quite a duration. They are a serious commitment, but going by the numbers, grass shots might be worth the trouble. They are not just one or two shots, and you need to get an allergy test beforehand because the mix is customized.

Good luck! I'm glad you are going for it.

#12 ·
Quercetin is a supplement, a plant pigment or flavanoid. It has anti-inflammatory properties and some people take it for allergies. Bromelain is a digestive enzyme found in things like pineapple core. You can get it in tablets. It is also anti-inflammatory. I know someone who took it for muscle inflammation but I saw an article that recommended it for allergies as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.