Mothering Forum banner

Plz help 2 yr old crying in pain sudden swollen glands at back of neck

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jessie Mathew 
#1 ·
Hi my 2yr old has woken up in the middle of the night here crying a lot and holding onto the back of his neck and ears!

I thought maybe he had slept in a strange position so had a neck ache but upon feeling him, he has swollen lymph nodes on the back sides of his neck which must be causing the pain.

Should I be as worried as I am? its just a sign of infection right? but he doesn't have any other symptoms of illness, no fever etc.

We were at the ER 2 days ago after a fairly bad bang to his head at the front when falling over, could it be related?

I have never seen or felt swollen lymph nodes glands at the back of the neck in my life, so a little shocked! And he is obviously in a lot of pain and distress which is also not what I've seen with this before.

Have given tylenol 30 mins ago plus ibuprofen just now as he is no better yet and read online give both, he is holding both ears as thats as far round the neck reachable. We are distracting him with TV on which is helping a bit.

Please advise???:crying:

See less See more
#2 ·
It may be ER time. Does your local hospital have an ask-a-nurse line?
Yes there is a number to speak with a nurse, but I didn't want to over react. I tend to panic easily so wanted other opinions first. Thank you for replying. It has been an hour and half now, he is distracted by TV being on so not crying but still holding the sides of his neck and won't move. Hoping the pain meds are starting to help by now, if he is no better soon I will call the nurse line..

#4 ·
It could be a few things but in a child that age the most common cause is probably an ear infection. Which would also explain why he's holding his ears.

Regardless, I would give the nurse line a call. An hour and a half is plenty of time for the analgesia to have worked.

Hope he's feeling better soon. Let us know how you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.