Mothering Forum banner

kombucha for children

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  katelove 
#1 ·
Would you give kombucha to a child? Why or why not? If you do, what age is your child and what amount/frequency do you give them kombucha?

I'm a little bit torn about whether or not kombucha is safe and/or healthy for little ones. I know people who give it to their babies, and others who absolutely will not give it to a young child.

Biggest pro I've heard: great source of probiotics
Biggest con I've heard: contains alcohol (even if only in trace amounts)

What are your thoughts?

#2 ·
I probably wouldn't give it to a baby under 1yo. 1-2yo I'm undecided. Older than that not an issue for me. They shouldn't have more than about 125ml/day so that is going to be a very small amount of alcohol.

I brewed kombucha and water kefir for a while. My 6yo drank it a little bit but the, then, 3yo didn't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I wouldn't give kombucha to any of my children.

The simple reason is because I don't believe in it's positive effects to health. I've met kombucha in the last few years and I think it's another product that companies just wanna sell (for a "good" price).

I'd better look out for healthy food consumption/nutrition AND outdoor activities.

This is just an opinion.

Claire:x

#4 ·
Commercially prepared products are generally not as good as homemade so that is probably true of many commercial kombucha products. I think the evidence is reasonable that small amounts of fermented foods in general are pretty good for gut health though. Drinking homemade kombucha is probably just a beneficial as having any other homemade fermented food. Not essential to good health certainly but beneficial :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.