Toddler inhaling food all day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anybody else have a toddler that has insatiable hunger all day? My 18 month old son literally eats all day...he demands it. I'm pregnant and have recently lost my milk supply, so I wonder if that has to do with it (he is still dry nursing). He eats good foods: meats, raw milk, eggs, whole-fat yogurt, cheese, avocado, butter, coconut oil, seasonal fruit, tons of veggies, sauerkraut...no empty calorie snacks or anything (no sugar!). The only "candy" type thing he gets is a larabar and just once, if at all, per day. It's just shocking how much he eats. He clears a whole avocado in seconds, eats a cup of yogurt at a time, three eggs at breakfast, literally inhales bananas, eat two chicken thighs at dinner...really more than I even want to eat at a time! What's the deal? It's overwhelming because I want to make healthy choices for him so his food is carefully thought out, but sometimes I run out of ideas! Anybody else experience this?

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Most children start eating a LOT more once they wean, which is an equivalent situation in this case to your milk drying up. They have to make up for the loss of nutrients they were getting from your milk. I wouldn't worry.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a very similar experience with my now 27 month old. She was a bottomless put from about 16 to 24 months or so. She'd devour 3 scrambled eggs and ask for more, have almost an adult portion at dinner and ask for snacks all day long. Like you, I worked very very hard to keep it all nutritious and free of junk/empty calories. I also got pregnant around 18 months and my supply went south in a few weeks. I heard of these mythical toddlers who barely eat and simply couldn't get it. Then a few weeks ago -BAM!! Like night and day, she cut waaaay back on her eating. I honestly now think that she had a monster growth spurt combined with my dipping supply. Is he growing and developing well? If yes then I'd keep an eye on it and not worry much.
#4 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Mine's always been that way.  He also goes through long periods without gaining any weight at all, and is rather active.  I don't worry about it a bit, but it's hard to keep up with him!  I'm going to need to get serious about farming to keep up with his appetite!

#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My 20mo DD fluctuates depending on her nursing schedule.  Some days she just wants to nurse, then suddenly I feel like I live with a teenage boy - 3 bananas, 2 eggs, slice of bread...and that's just breakfast! This week has been a "sleep" phase with little interest in food or boob, while last week she was all boob.  So Definitely some growth going on.  If you think about how much they grow and develop in a relatively short period of time it takes a lot of calories to get there.

#6 of 7 Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 PM

First of all good for you for providing such healthy food! It's a lot of work, esp. when pg! My daughter was like that until very recently when her appetite decreased a lot. I agree that it's likely a growth spurt combined with making up for low supply. If it continues to seem alarming or if there are other issues that make you think something might be out of whack it doesn't hurt to ask about it at his next doc's appnt but I have seen this in my dd and in other toddlers I've babysat for in the past and all has been healthy and well.

#7 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

You seem to be avoiding grains, and that is totally ok, but I was wondering if you would consider some rice or bread or oatmeal or something? That can fill you up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page