3 year old won't eat anything remotely healthy. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 59 Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 AM
 
newgirlintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible to have meat allergies? Because that's one of the things she used to eat but literally won't touch. Otherwise, maybe it's worth looking into eggs. She used to eat those fairly reliably but now wont do more than a bite. Thanks for the idea!

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

 

newgirlintown is offline  
#32 of 59 Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM
 
sageowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With meat it's more likely a texture aversion.
sageowl is offline  
#33 of 59 Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM
 
ilovetchotchkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageowl View Post

With meat it's more likely a texture aversion.


Yes. As a kid I once got a gristly piece of pork chop and now even as an adult, even the smell of pork chops makes me queasy.

http://magadociousrex.blogspot.com/  
We're a co-sleeping, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering , baby and toddler wearing family!

Roland 04/2010 30 hour labor. Vaginal but not natural birth. 

Zeisel 08/2012 15 hour labor, completely natural hospital water birth. 

 

goorganic.jpgtranstichel.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gifslingtwin.gifwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifplacenta.gif

ilovetchotchkes is offline  
#34 of 59 Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 PM
 
Tigerle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Check out "What's eating your child", reissued recently as "Cure your child with food" by Kelly Dorfman. I can't say enough good things about it.

I had the world's pickiest eater (tried to live on breastmilk until weaned, then tried to live on bread, pasta and french fries) and she was having none of the usual good advice: shop, cook, decorate, have peers around who eat, sauces...nothing. She basically stopped growing for a year and had serious issues with constipation (still has megacolon left over from that phase and we have to give daily laxatives even though her stool is soft for at least another six months).

We finally tried to tackle the problem according to Dorfman's E.A.T. program at the beginning of this year and are still working on new foods, but it is and was a fight - for days, she'd tantrum until she fell asleep exhausted at bedtime rather than eat a teensy tiny bit of soft boiled carrot, a vegetable she used to eat at least in pureed form. broth, applesauce and a hand-held blender were our lifesavers. She craved sugar intensely for about two weeks, then got better, but there has been no miracle cure. However, her sudden spurt in growth and development as soon as we had her eating pureed fruit and vegetables was remarkable! She has recently graduated to carrot slices, even had some sauerkraut recently, will eat fish and meat and sausages, will eat apples (peeled) and high fat yoghurt with raisins or mcadamia nuts for a snack and for variety still gets a number of fruit and vegetables either in puree form or grated (as long as the carrot, potato or sweet potato content is reasonably high, most anything goes) .

I have to admit I have no patience any more with people you insist not to force the issue and "they'll eventually learn to like healthy stuff". It may take years, years in which kids' development is compromised by deficient or even toxic building materials for their cells. It was a hard road, and it did involve some extremely authoritarian parenting, but I kept asking myself whether I should be less strict than about enforcing carseats or a lifesaving medication, and the asnwer I kept coming up with was no. in her case it appeared to be mostly about sensory issues, but I am still suspicious about an intolerance lurking around somewhere.

Cravings are a serious pointer towards either gut dysbalances or intolerances. I can't repeat the book here, but with a kid dependent on bread, crackers and pasta, I'd try with eliminating sugar and grain products and give a high quality probiotic (as in a refrigerated bottle from a drugstore, not just yoghurt) for starters. If you feel she is trying to live on dairy, conversely try eliminating dairy. Yes, it means going hungry at first. but this kind of dependcy is harmful for your child, and you wouldn't care about tantrums if you had to take away your prescription medication or the cleaning solvent.

Hang in there! After all this hard work, you will at some point be rewarded by your kid yelling excitedly about this really wonderful dish papa made, "with super yummy meat and green beans and wild rice!" and all of them actually eating it.

sassyfirechick likes this.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
Tigerle is online now  
#35 of 59 Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM
 
Nightwish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

 

I have to admit I have no patience any more with people you insist not to force the issue and "they'll eventually learn to like healthy stuff". It may take years, years in which kids' development is compromised by deficient or even toxic building materials for their cells.

There is actually no scientific evidence to support this.

But there is scientific evidence to support the fact the forcing food on children is harmful and messes up their body signals, so they can't feel when they are full.

The kids will grow to learn to eat the food we are eating. Not the food we are supposed to eat, but the food we are actually eating. It's that simple.

j10k and ilovetchotchkes like this.

ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif
Nightwish is offline  
#36 of 59 Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Tigerle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
 

There is actually no scientific evidence to support this.

But there is scientific evidence to support the fact the forcing food on children is harmful and messes up their body signals, so they can't feel when they are full.

The kids will grow to learn to eat the food we are eating. Not the food we are supposed to eat, but the food we are actually eating. It's that simple.

 

Ah, I realize I need to clear up a misconception here.

We do not enforce quantity. But we do enforce quality.

 

I am not sure what you mean by "there is no scientific evidence to support this". I'm sure you're not saying that there is no scientific evidence that it does not matter to kids' health and development if they try to subsist on a white diet - as in dry pasta, dry bread, yoghurt and the occasional sausage, and nothing else that might contain a shred of fiber or a microgram of vitamins - for years and years? Because that was what DD tried to control everyone around her into letting her eat  exclusively for over a year. She basically stopped growing after I had to nightwean her at a year old due to inflamed and suppurating nipples (she ate the bare minimum of the fruit and veggie purees to survive during the day and tried to make up for it all night) and after I had to wean her for good at 1.5 years halfway through my third pregnancy, her overall development seemed to slow down, except for a huge buddha belly that just kept expanding - at that time, we still got the occasional jar of veggies or applesauce in. When we finally were able to gasp for air after a highrisk pregnancy and the birth and NICU stays of our special needs baby to realize (a time during which she spent way too much time at daycare and with grandparents) and realized what kind of diet she had screamed and fussed her way into eating (see above) she had stopped pooping, too. There must be scientific evidence that it's not that great for kids when they stop pooping...

 

Our fridge was and is overflowing with fresh produce. We cook meat and veggies from scratch, always have, and enjoy it all. It did not matter one whit to our DD. She simply stuffed herself with the carb options on the table (dry pasta, dry bread -  God, we were glad if could get the occasional potatoe in, and tricked her into tolerating butter on the bread) . The healthiest thing she was eating was homemade cakes and pies, and that not always. DS1 was a picky eater too, but he had nothing on DD.

 

So, in desperation, we went primal/PHD. There simply is no more bread or pasta in the house and we have asked the grandparents not to serve those any more, either (still working on daycare). We had to basically starve her into even consenting to put a piece of veggies or fruit into her mouth - I kept telling myself it's that or continuing laxative medication indefinitely.... Had to refuse to let her have anything in the way of rice or potatoes until either the veggies (still pureed, though she has recently, after 8 months training, graduated to carrot pieces and peeled apple slices) and meat on her plate are gone or enforce one bite of each in turn (we still have to watch her like a hawk, it's easier to just insist on her having veggies and meat first before we even put a carb option on the table). Certainly no dessert unless she's had a balanced meal. This goes for DS1 too! We tell the kids, with conviction, that the body cannot cope with the additional sugar unless it's had a solid dose of proper nutrients in.

 

The kids are developing in leaps and bounds, calmer, happier, even though we continually insist on their trying something new at table - with DD, it might be a new shape of boiled carrot pieces (yes, she's that difficult), with DS1 it might be a bite of cauliflower. They are beginning to calm down about that situation too, resigning themselves philosophically to putting stuff in their mouths they would both have run away from screaming only months ago, and interestingly, usually admit that they like it or at least find it tolerable. I would not have the eating situtation we had before go on for another day.

 

Feeling if she's full? She refused to even sit down at the table, insisting she wasn't hungry when veggies were so much as on her plate, and put herself to bed. However, she was immediately hungry if there was one of the 5 or so options she liked.

 

And no, she's not autistic. Probably sensory issues around food, but otherwise very healthy.

 

And I'd be extremely suspicious of any scientific evidence purporting to infer any causalities on finding, that most kids, by and large, grow up to do stuff the way their parents do it. Unless the children are adopted, you can have no idea just how much of those similarities are actually due to modelling. Anecdotally, I have seen too many families with children who run the gamut from excellent over so-so to extremely picky eaters to believ in modelling any more.


Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
Tigerle is online now  
#37 of 59 Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM
 
Nightwish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I said: there is no scientific evidence to support this, I referred to your statement:

 

"kids' development is compromised by deficient or even toxic building materials for their cells.

 

Never heard that before.

 

I see you are fighting a continuous battle with your children to make them eat what you consider nutritious. I've been through that as a child with my own mother and I know what you mean.

 

My own experience as a mother proved me that as long as I trusted my kids to make choices from the food that was placed on the table at mealtime and snack time, our eating - and feeding experience was a lot more pleasurable. They didn't always eat what and how much I wanted them to eat, they occasionally stopped growing, or grew in spurts (my ds didn't gain weight at all between 1 and 2 years; my dd gained a lot of weight around two, but then shot up in height), but as long as our ped and family doctor said they were healthy, I didn't worry.

 

I guess my goal is to make eating a joyful experience for my kids (and the whole family), to let them be aware of their bodies' cues, when they are hungry and when they are full, to raise them as competent eaters. Personally, I find these goals more important than making sure they got a specific amount/type of food in their bodies on a specific day.

 

Also wanted to add, bread and pasta are a significant source of fiber. Maybe your dd knew better what her body needed.


ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif
Nightwish is offline  
#38 of 59 Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 AM
 
Tigerle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Ah I get what you meant now.

 

For the probably best known example of structural damage from malnutrition, I would refer you to the research on transfats versus omega3s such as DHA and EPA and their influence on brain development (one summer, DD tried to live exclusively on french fries. ugh). For cell damage induced by diet consisting mostly of refined carbs (dry pasta, dry bread, even whole grain bread), to research on what was formerly called adult onset diabetes, until kids who had ever higher carb amounts in their diet developed insulin resistance, too. Generally, all oxidation processes induced by substances such as refined vegetable oils or sugar lead to cell damage. All of the above will take years to reverse once the damage is done, as the body takes years to renew the compromised cells - sort of like a smoker whose cancer risks takes years to go down even after stopping.

 

So why serve french fries, bread and pasta at all, you may ask? Well, we did want to pic-nic on the beach occasionally, or have bread for breakfast or pasta for lunch. It would not have been so bad if DD had consented to eat anything else during other occasions, and not run away screaming and put herself to bed. And you can't be serious about her doing this because she somehow knew she needed the fiber? As if the white flour pretzels and pasta she craved and manipulated every one else into giving her just so she would stop screaming and eat something instead of putting herself to bed hungry were a better source of fiber than the fruit and vegetables we offered? No, if a child behaves that way it means her body signals are seriously out of whack (and because she was difficult even in her transition to solids after being exclusively breastfed I think it was sensory issues in the first place until it developed into a carb dependency). And she wasn't healthy - viz. the constipation, and the slowdown in language development. Peds aren't that reliable in judging whether kids are developing as well as they should. They actually were concerned about the arrested growth and tested for celiac disease, but when that one turned out negative, they just shrugged and prescribed laxatives for the constipation.And since her cognitive development appeared to be advanced anyway, they felt every thing else was fine. Only - her older brother, who is only a somewhat picky eater and actually able to eat a healthy diet by choosing from the healthy options I serve which I know he will eat, was off the charts. And now that she is getting her nutrients in, she is off the charts, too. A ped wouldn't take that concern seriously, but I knew something was going wrong, badly.

 

talking about bodily cues, I need to add that both DS1 and I have blood sugar issues, ie reactive hypoglycemia. When our blood sugar drops, we do not get hungry, we crash. I get dizzy and irritable, DS1 just freaks out, and is almost unable to eat. I used to have to yell at him to stop screaming and take just one bite so he could calm down enough to start eating, even though I tried to make sure he had protein rich snacks. Now that we have stopped eating grains and cut down on all other carbs, that is GONE. All those carb options just mess up our kids' bodies cues until they aren't reliable any more, and you cannot "reset" their bodies, as it were, without enforcing the low carb high nutrition options first.


Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
Tigerle is online now  
#39 of 59 Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 AM
 
Tigerle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh, and I do get what you mean about the joyful experience, really I do. The last 8 months or so were eating hell for all of us. Now that the yelling, running, whining, screamin has mostly stopped, the kids have gotten used to the fact that grains are out and sugar is extremely restricted and we can slowly slowly introduce ever more healthy options, we all feel SO much better. Finding pleasure in food is really important. But I did have to teach my kids to find pleasure beyond flour and sugar.

It was worth it.


Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
Tigerle is online now  
#40 of 59 Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 AM
 
newgirlintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man, now I am sort of even more back where I started.

I was a very picky eater, and when I got to an age where I realized eating more kinds of foods opened doors, I started eating more. I still have some hang ups, but I LOVE food, cooking, eating, trying new things, and traveling and eating new foods. So...I feel like she might have an adventurous eater inside her just lying dormant, that I don´t want to scare away. Plus, I really don´t have it in my to starve her (because really, she will refuse to eat food that she doesn´t want to eat) to get her to eat a diet that I see as more balanced. When I look at a week of nutrition for her, she is eating some fish or meat products, some veg (carrots, potatoes), some fruit (apple, banana, grapes, strawberries, lots of these), lots of carbs (pasta, porridge, bread, rice), and some unhealthier options (salty snacks or these rolls that have cinnamon swirls in them (much closer to cinnamon bread than cinnamon rolls)). No juice. Lots of water. Sure there are vitamins not being at optimal levels, and now that she has stopped breastfeeding, except for one small token feed a day, that does worry me a bit, but I might try a vitamin :/

I think for now I am not going to change anything drastically. We did talk about how trying foods can be a fun way to find new things she likes, and I told her for every dinner I make, I am going to try to make at least some part of that a food that she could theoretically eat (not too spicy, not mixed with lots of other foods wink1.gif). She liked that idea.

From my experience with her I know that whenever I push, she pushes back. So, pushing isn´t the answer. smile.gif

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

 

newgirlintown is offline  
#41 of 59 Old 10-24-2013, 09:13 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Fiber from bread and pasta should not be the main source of fiber in the diet - it's added in to the products most times after the fact because they lack an real nutrients.  Fiber comes from plant based foods - leafy greens, fruits and other veggies.  I absolutely stand by cravings as a sign of intolerance or sensitivity.  My DD tested negative for gluten reactions at 9mos old with the ND, but they still were not a huge part of her diet at that point.  More recently, with my FIL watching her and taking her out to eat, her dietary restrictions went out the window and she was just tested last week, now 23mos and she IS reactive to gluten and she HAS been asking for these products more and more.  She's always eaten well, including a whole variety of veggies and spices, she just started to slip away from those things and become more and more focused on the grain heavy foods (crackers, animal cookies, bread) - and her lack of good sleep, skin rashes, and overall irritability have been enough warning signs for me to know to have her retested to confirm my suspicions, and we are now not only a dairy free house, but gluten and soy as well.  If you want to take a slower, non-cold turkey route, I would just stop buying glutenous products as you run out.  There are plenty of gluten free products out there, or better yet just avoid processed foods altogether.  If your LO will drink a smoothie or "milkshake" (honestly kids at that age are very easily deceived by names of products more than anything, friend of mine got her 4yo to drink green smoothies just by calling them monster slime!) then start to mix in small amounts of healthy options - avocadoes and coconut oil for brain/heart healthy fats, spinach and kale for greens and fiber, and fruit to mask the flavor.  Because we've been dairy free for most of DD's life, she doesn't know about things like standard chocolate pudding - BUT a few ripe avocadoes, a bit of honey, cocoa powder and vanilla extract....BEST damn chocolate pudding you've ever had and you'd have to have one hell of a palate to notice it was made from avocadoes, DH had no clue when he thought he was sneaking a bite of something he shouldn't have ;-)

sassyfirechick is offline  
#42 of 59 Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 PM
 
Nightwish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surely there has to be a middle ground between feeding kids whenever, whatever they want, and banning foods, or tricking, bribing and forcing kids to eat. Extremes are never good. Pressure always backfires. I have yet to hear from an adult that they are happy they were made to eat something they didn't want askids (unless, of course, they want to justify pressuring their own kids to eat).
Just curious, for people who insist their kids eat ONLY "healthy" food, do you also eat the same food? No sweets, no gluten, no pasta?
Oh, and cereals are a VERY good source of fibre
http://uwaterloo.ca/health-services/nutrition-services/nutrition-resources/fibre-fundamentals

ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif
Nightwish is offline  
#43 of 59 Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 PM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

There are no sweets in my house, no gluten either, and definitely no pressure.  It's really not that hard to eat a healthy diet and pass that along to your kids.....

sassyfirechick is offline  
#44 of 59 Old 10-25-2013, 03:48 AM
 
Nightwish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you for not keeping sweets in the house, but that's not what I asked.

ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif
Nightwish is offline  
#45 of 59 Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

You asked if people eat what they "expect" their kids to eat....I did answer that by stating we don't have those foods available therefore we all eat the same things, ie healthy unprocessed whole foods. You can leave that attitude at the door next time.

sassyfirechick is offline  
#46 of 59 Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Nightwish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post
 

You asked if people eat what they "expect" their kids to eat...therefore we all eat the same things, ie healthy unprocessed whole foods.

Well, that's not what you said. You just said you are sneaking food to your family and your family is sneaking food you don't want them to have (you say: "DH had no clue when he thought he was sneaking a bite of something he shouldn't have").

 

Maybe you don't keep "unhealthy" food in your house and you don't eat it yourself, but your family does. Children are not stupid. You can't control her eating forever. What you are teaching your dd is not how to eat healthily, but how to sneak food.


ds 9 kid.gif and dd 4 biggrinbounce.gif
Nightwish is offline  
#47 of 59 Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Clearly you are unable to read what I actually posted or are trying to read between the lines something that isn't there.  What I said was that DH felt he was eating something he shouldn't (snarky comment, sarcastic....)- what adult logically things pudding is healthy?  He was not expecting there to be avocado in chocolate pudding.  Not that he was being somehow sneaky behind my back.  As for my DD, she has food intolerances to dairy and gluten and I've had very harsh words with my in-laws as to what foods are ok for her to eat for her health and it's taken time but they are following my rules.  These are not arbitrary rules that I'm imposing because I'm some sort of food czar in my home and want to control what everyone eats.  I'm setting examples for my family, and we've talked about living a healthy lifestyle and therefore follow that.  My child is 2, she's not capable of sneaking behind my back looking for junk food - she's never had the experience of it so at others houses she asks for water, veggies, fruit, coconut milk....the things she eats at home.  I wont shelter her and tell her junk doesn't' exist, but I will educate her as to why we eat the way we do.  And most children with food sensitivities will experiment at some point only to realize they prefer feeling healthy and they always come back to healthy eating.

 

I commented on how to *gasp* hide food in smoothies and such if needed, not because I've ever had to do this for my child (again, she eats everything), but because I know it's worked for some people when transitioning their kids to healthier eating.  Some of the first green juices I ever made for myself involved copious amounts of apples and lemons to mask the green flavor that I was not accustomed to and over time my palate changed and I've learned to accept a wider array of vegetables - things that  was NOT raised on.  My DD has a much wider palate because she IS being raised on these things and she does readily accept new items without hesitation.  So I sincerely doubt she will be sneaking things behind my back because we eat everything she eats.

sassyfirechick is offline  
#48 of 59 Old 10-25-2013, 03:32 PM
 
JamieCatheryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SW Pa
Posts: 5,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I allow my kids MORE leeway than I give myself, they eat loads of fruit and nuts while I limit those for myself. They eat some cheese, too. They are, after all, growing and active. But I'd be doing them no favors to give gluten or excessive carbs to the one who reacts poorly to it! He craves nothing else, his energy drops to nothing, his head hurts, and he can't speak. For no situational reason whatsoever he makes fists and angry faces and cries for an hour no matter what treat or distraction I offer. Tylenol helps if I catch it early. Then he's disoriented afterwards. We went GF in June, it hasn't happened since except the one time he had mac and cheese in July.

JamieCatheryn is offline  
#49 of 59 Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
 
Triniity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read a rather compelling theory once about this "toddler won't eat", it said that it's evolutionary, since kids stop eating "everything in front of them" when they are capable to run off and "find" their food.

 

So, to keep them from eating all these poisonous plants and insects (I would guess) nature stopped them eating "green" and "funny looking" or anything "intense tasting", for a while, until they are old enough to understand what is nutrious and what is poison. 

 

I LOVE this theory and it totally stopped me worrying about it. All my kids were weaned using the "baby led weaning" method, and all of them ate everything in front of them, until they were two - two and a half. They restarted around four, though DS does not like his food to be touching 


Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

Triniity is offline  
#50 of 59 Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 AM
 
FloridaBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 813
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

There are no sweets in my house, no gluten either, and definitely no pressure.  It's really not that hard to eat a healthy diet and pass that along to your kids.....

Privilege check on aisle three!

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
FloridaBorn is offline  
#51 of 59 Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 AM
 
Tigerle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post


Privilege check on aisle three!

Huh?


Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
Tigerle is online now  
#52 of 59 Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post


Privilege check on aisle three!

For what reason? I merely stated what foods are and are not in my home to answer a question...there was no air of privilege there.  Would you call someone privileged for keeping their home nut free because of a child with allergies?

sassyfirechick is offline  
#53 of 59 Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
 
root*children's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the South-East's Worst Kept Secret
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
 I have yet to hear from an adult that they are happy they were made to eat something they didn't want as kids

 

I'll jump in and be the first adult you've heard say that I am happy my parents made me eat lots of things that I didn't want to eat!  My siblings are in agreement with me, 100%!  My mom's cooking was not very good, either :)  But from having been made to eat everything on my plate (small portions, but all different kinds of food), I have been able, my whole life, to try new foods without any reservations.  It's great!  I have found foods I don't like so much, and other foods that I LOVE!

 

I have this experience in comparison to my ex-husband who was allowed to only eat what he felt like, and to the next level of - if he didn't like what the meal was, his mother would actually make him a separate meal (usually PB&J).  He was a horrible eater the entire time I knew him.  It was quite embarrassing to eat at other people's house.  And it was extremely difficult to teach our child to eat healthy food options and try new things, when he would see his dad eating either junk food or just really limited healthy foods.

 

Raising another child with a partner who loves trying new food and we only keep healthy foods in the house is a wonderful change!  We do eat treats, but they are just that - treats, they are rarely made or maybe eaten somewhere that's not at home (like on a vacation,etc). 

 

I find with toddlers, things that can help encourage them to eat things you want them to eat are to only have desirable foods present in your house, also peer pressure can make a lot of difference!  Have play dates with her little buddies and only serve nori, pickles, hard boiled eggs, whatever, and you may be surprised what you see her trying!  With my own kids, when they turn about 4, we do start having basic rules around eating - things like you have to try a bite of everything, insults about the food are not okay, and you must show gratitude.  The catch phrase in my house for probably a decade has been, "You didn't know you liked chocolate cake until you tried it!"

 

We also switched to grain-free/ nourishing traditions about a year ago, and it's amazing to see the great foods that all my kids will eat now that the basic fillers like bread and pasta aren't in the picture.

 

Good luck to you, OP!  Food issues seem to continually change and need tweaking (as well as so many other things in our life :)


Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

root*children is offline  
#54 of 59 Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 PM
 
Triniity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
 But from having been made to eat everything on my plate (small portions, but all different kinds of food), I have been able, my whole life, to try new foods without any reservations.

I have a different take on that. 

 

I personally believe, that you can only make a child eat something, that he/she would anyway given enough time. My DS has sensory issues, and he has to take a bite of every food I offer, but he can choose to eat or not to eat, and he always has the option of bland carbohydrates, like if we have potatoes with something and he does not like the something, he does not have to eat it. He can choose to only eat potatoes. He won't eat different types of food for a myriad of reasons, like the texture, the taste, the noise it makes, the color, you name it. 

 

My DD on the other hand just eats whatever does not bite first. Same family, same food, same upbringing. (to an extend I guess). 

 

So in my opinion if you make someone eat against his wishes, than he won't really like eating as an experience. And maybe the mom of your partner just gave up after a while of trying. 

 

I know millions of adults who were made to eat something and won't eat it anymore therefor. Like I won't eat vanilla"y" desserts, because I was made finish my desserts after meals, even if I was full or did not like them. So I kind of start gagging with this kind of food. 

My mom does not drink milk, because she was made drinking it as a kid. 

My husband won't try fish. 

I know dozens more..


Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

Triniity is offline  
#55 of 59 Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post
 

My DD on the other hand just eats whatever does not bite first. Same family, same food, same upbringing. (to an extend I guess). 

:rotflmaoMine's the same way.  Eats everything and anything, but I also never force her to eat stuff.  Some nights she's all about carrots, others is the greens.  She gets enough variety day to day that I'm pretty confident that she's eating what her body needs at that given moment.  I was also forced to finish food, and there's a few veggies that took me a very long time to eat as an adult.

sassyfirechick is offline  
#56 of 59 Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
 
root*children's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the South-East's Worst Kept Secret
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hear ya, I don't use the "finish everything" method with my own kids.  I was just responding a PP who insisted she had never heard any adult say that they were glad their parents had made them eat all foods.


Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

root*children is offline  
#57 of 59 Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 PM
 
tillymonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Coast California
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agree. I like to think about my last pregnancy where there was SO MANY foods that made me feel sick to eat. Can you imagine a person forcing you to eat it when it makes you want to gag! Crazy!

I read that this age kids start to get "grossed out" over texture, smell, mouth feel, etc. and it totally makes sense. Plus the gorging on certain foods one day then eating nothing the next? It's just part of the growing palette of this age group.

What's really irking me now... The demanding of foods that I'll make just as she asks for. Then she takes a tiny tiny bite and won't eat more. Ugh!!! The wasted food is atrocious.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

tillymonster is offline  
#58 of 59 Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
 
TeaBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: N. CA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS has been only requesting dairy and crackers or Cheerios. Time for a candida cleanse! Thanks for the reminder, I forgot the signs.
TeaBean is offline  
#59 of 59 Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
 
peaceful_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #12 Grimmauld Place
Posts: 4,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That requested food can go back to the fridge & reheated.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
peaceful_mama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off