What non-dairy milk options are suitable for a toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a two month old, so I have some time yet. I am curious what would be a suitable alternative to cows milk. My husband and I both have digestive (bedroom smells like a feed-lot) issues with both gluten and dairy. I want to allow her to self wean at some point between 12 months and kindergarten, but don't want to give her cows milk at that point.

Any thoughts?

#2 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would consider water only for a time, especially if you and your partner both have dairy issues. The issues I see coming up with milks are allergies and intolerance, digestive issues, dental issues from the sugars, filling up on drinks instead of whole foods and others. It's a good thing you looking ahead so you've got some time to check out the options.

JenVose likes this.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Depending on the accessibility in your area, goat's milk can be a wonderful alternative. Since it's more easily digestible and not harder to produce, I can't believe that it's not commercially available, but I've found that once I've become more aware of it, it's not that difficult to find in my area.

Personally, I would stay away from soy; and also from rice just based on the recent arsenic research. Another alternative is hemp (which I can find easily enough in the actual grocery store, but should definitely be available in natural food stores), or almond milk, if there are no known nut allergies in the family.

#4 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM

My two year old has a dairy sensitivity. She drinks a lot of water and some juice, but, when the rest of the family is drinking cow's milk and she wants milk, she drinks coconut milk. I also tried almond milk, but she wasn't keen on it. Coconut milk has been a hit, and I've found that I prefer it over cow's milk on cereal.

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#5 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Mine drinks almond milk.

#6 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

My kids wean to....nothing. I plan on nursing them until at least 2 with any extra as a bonus. I pump at work until they self-wean. They don't ever drink anything other than bm.

We do use cow's milk for cooking/cereal and if they had a dairy issue I'd choose coconut, hemp, almond, or soy as the most nutritious options.

#7 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The milk of another species is never necessary, and neither is a substitute. Weaning means stopping drinking milk. Cows milk is for baby cows, goats milk is for baby goats, and almond milk is for people who like the taste of almond milk. If a human stops drinking its mother's milk before 24 months, it needs human milk substitute (formula). If the child has reached the second birthday, it can drink whatever healthy beverage it likes the taste of.

That said, many who cannot tolerate pasteurized milk do just fine with raw. That's what we drink, but we drink it because we like it, not because its replacing my milk for my kids.

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 15 Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 AM

We have a dairy allergy here so we use almond or coconut milk in recipes and such but ont usually drink it. My three year old is still nursing strong!

I think blessed said it well!
#9 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 06:13 PM

My 18 month old niece is allergic to soy and dairy. My sister started out giving her rice milk. Lately she has been giving her half rice milk and half goats milk mixed together.

Sarah, mother of three kiddos
#10 of 15 Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 PM

I also agree with blessed. I don't think milk or replacement milk is a nutritional necessity when practicing long term nursing. My dd is 2 ( almost 27 months) and still nursing strong. She loves to drink glasses of kefir (naturally 98% lactose free) and unsweetened coconut or almond milk or 7 grain vanilla milk as a beverage but not as a replacement to bm. She started asking for these drinks because we occasionally had them in the house mostly to use in cooking and she was curious. It turns out she loves them but I rarely offer them, she just asks for them. She also LOVES broth and will drink tons of bone broth which is probably a much more nutrient rich option than any non-dairy "milk". Dd happens to really crave drinks other than water otherwise I would probably just offer water and herbal tea.

#11 of 15 Old 11-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
If you plan on doing extended bf you don't need any type of milk! My dd bf until only 7 months. I just was not fully educated and did big have much support. I switched her to organic cows milk at 11 months shortly before turning one. She did well on it but never quite liked it and stopped drinking it at one and a half. Now my ds has a milk allergy and my goal is to bf him until 2. After that I will maybe do almond milk. Silk almond milk is gmo free and does not contain carrageenan. (Can cause stomach cancer) I would prefer coconut milk but cannot find one that does not contain this ingredient. So for now I'm just breast feeding! I don't want to give him almond milk yet as I fear he may have more food allergies. He has had silk coconut milk bc I didn't check the ingredients and assumed it didn't gave carrageenan like their almond milk, but it does. But there is no nutritional reason for it. With that said my daughter stopped milk at an early age and was fine. And with breast feeding you will especially be fine! No need to start them on anything!

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#12 of 15 Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM

Oh yes and like previous poster said doing do soy or rice!

#13 of 15 Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM

Don't do*

#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

d

#15 of 15 Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My wife has a milk allergy and we use both oat milk and almond milk, depending on the purpose. Neither one is great for drinking straight (though the oat milk is much better) but either can be used in recipes or for hot cocoa, etc. The oat milk is creamier and is more like regular milk. She likes to put it on cereal. I would keep almond milk around even without the allergy because it's a great way to thin out smoothies without boosting the calorie content too much (it only has 30 calories to a cup, compared to 130 for oat milk and 150 for regular milk). Oat milk is the only substitute milk you can make at home.

We tried all the substitute milks out there when my wife developed her allergy a few years ago, and those are the only two either one of us can tolerate on a regular basis. Hemp, soy, and sunflower have too strong a taste to use in most recipes. I can't stand the taste of coconut milk normally, but it makes a darn good ice cream substitute.

Mother to one dd .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page