Need sources for exclusively BFing for first year (picky eater) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! My sister in law has a ten month old who is not interested in eating. At all. The doctors are of course telling her she should stop breast feeding, switch to formula, yada yada yada. But it is starting to worry her so I was wondering if any of you could help me out in two ways:
1. Sharing your own testimonal about having a picky eater and how everything turned out ok (assuming they're older).
2. She is looking for resources (books, articles, etc.) that have a view that exclusively breastfeeding for the first year is safe. I know there are many moms who only exclusively breast feed for the first year and I'd love your thoughts (if you're one of them).

TIA!

Jessie, wife to Timmy and mother to a beautiful daughter, Fiery on 10.6.09. Expecting my next beauty in March '10!:::
#2 of 6 Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I can only address your first concern:  My DD showed little interest in solids when we introduced them at 8 months, and continued to have very little interest for quite a while.  Sure, she would eat a bit here and there, but she was certainly not getting any decent calories in solid form until well past 1 year.  Beyond age 1, she began to enjoy drinking from the baby food pouches, and that helped her transition to more solid foods.  I was concerned enough about her eating, though, to have her evaluated by early intervention at 19-ish months.  At that point she was showing more interest in solids, but tended to spit most foods out instead of swallowing them - texture issues.  To make a long story short, by age 2 she was more or less a normal eater.  She still doesn't eat a ton, but she eats a variety of foods, healthier than most of those I see her peers eating.  She never really dropped in percentiles or lost weight during that second year when she wasn't eating well and was mostly beyond milk. 

Is there concern over baby losing weight?  Or is the concern ONLY about the lack of solids?  If it's the latter, I would say definitely not to worry about it. 

#3 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My second didn't show interest in or eat solids until 8 months. I know there are resources out there. Have you tried posting in the breast feeding beyond infancy forum?

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2013, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

At that age, yeah, not eating substantial amounts of food, or any food, is totally fine.  As long as the baby is gaining fine, it's not a problem.  It would concern me if they had absolutely zero interest in grabbing food or playing with it, or not even attempting to put any in their mouth.  Actual consumption of food isn't a concern, but a ten month old who never notices food is around and/or doesn't explore things by putting them in her mouth would concern me.  An Early Intervention evaluation is free (at least in my state), so if it starts to be a real problem she can at least get a professional opinion; it might turn out that some OT is in order.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 6 Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 PM

My DD didn't actually ingest much solid food until she was over 18 months. She played with it, but she much preferred nursing. 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#6 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM

My son is 18 months and is almost exclusively breastfed. He was exclusively breastfed until 12 months. He's growing, hitting or exceeding milestones, and is thriving. He loves to try food, but only swallows some things. Healthy children know what they need to eat, if given healthy options - especially with breastfeeding. The book My Child Won't Eat (which addresses mostly babies) is a great resource.
filamentary likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page