DHA omega-3 vegan nutrition for toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Love and Hugs Mamas...

As a healthy organic vegan Mama whose family is very healthy, I'd like to hear from other Mamas who eat and feed their children the same healthy diet and I'd like to hear some positive feedback.  I'm doing some research on healthy vegan nutrition for toddlers and the research is stating that flax oil, almonds, avocados, chia seeds, hemp seeds are all rich in DHA omega-3.  How is it going for you and are you feeding your toddler similar healthy nutrition?  I  need to breastfeed my baby, but I'm having some painful difficulties that resulted from harrowing traumas I suffered, so, it's challenging, but I do pump and feed my milk to him, but I want to cover my bases and make sure he's getting all the nutrition he needs and I'd love to hear that I don't need to worry and that my baby is fine.  I put 2 tbsp. flax oil in every meal...we eat at least 1 avocado or 2 a week, nut butters, and we're going to buy chia seeds and hemp seeds...please share your helpful positive feedback, thank you! xox <3 <3 <3

Thank you for being fragrance-free! Wear organic or wear nothing!
http://bodyearthself.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Hi earthwriter! Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things. Those DHA Omega-3 rich foods are all great and as long as your little one isn't showing any sensitivities to nuts or seeds they should be more than enough. My only suggestion would be to switch to fresh flaxseed, ground and sprinkled on food instead of the oil. Flaxseed oil turns rancid very quickly. It's good when it is fresh but the key is making sure what you get is fresh. Also, there are benefits to flaxseed that are not in flaxseed oil.  

Anyone have any other suggestions to offer for good Omega 3 toddler nutrition?

#3 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Flax is pretty good, but yes definitely make sure it's very fresh and never cook with it. It actually doesn't have DHA or EPA, which only occur in that form in animal sources like fish and fish oils, but does have a lot of ALA, which can be converted (in varying degrees among individuals) to DHA and EPA.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#4 of 4 Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use walnuts, ground flax and chia for my older children (4 and 6 yrs), and have also given them an algae based supplement in the past (though my oldest doesn't like the flavor). I give my baby avocado almost daily (sprinkled with nutritional yeast!), I sprinkle hemp seeds on her bananas or mix into coconut yogurt. She also drinks green smoothies that I put chia in. If you are not concerned about nut allergies, you can use walnuts and hemp seeds to make 'lara'bars (with dried figs for calcium) that are easier for babies to eat. I think variety is key, rather than focusing on one single source.

Just in case you didn't know...There is a Vegetarian and Vegan forum on the natural living forums that has a lot of great informational threads on vegan kid nutrition.

ETA: just noticed the original thread was from a while ago...:)

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page