How to make meat appetizing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you cook fresh meats (beef, pork, chicken, lamb) so that your little one will eat it?  If I don't get ideas that appeal to my child, I will end up always giving in and serving processed foods (like sausage and ham) and eggs, (which I don't want to do).

#2 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi PeachBaby, if you LO doesn't like meats, I would say don't stress there are lots of other sources of protein such as grains, dairy, eggs, legumes.  I would just say try to offer healthy alternatives.  I'm veggie, but I have seen a lot of kids love grilled chicken.  You might also try a dipping sauce, my little guy will eat just about anything with ketchup or blue cheese dressing as a dip.  You can also use sour cream or plan yogurt.  Good luck. 

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#3 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Homemade bbq sauce: honey, organic ketchup, soy sauce, acv, salt and pepper, onion and garlic powders.

Burgers (with thin whole wheat buns)

Fish breaded in ground nuts

"You need to finish 2 more bites before you leave the table."

We can't lean on legumes and dairy and my middle son can't handle the extra sugars and starches that are in those, if he ate enough protein with just that he'd pass out from the carbs.

#4 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM

You could always try doing more casserole type things to where the meat is mixed in more- and cut it into smaller chunks. You can also just put some lean ground beef on a pizza- it'll be under the cheese so he/she may not pick up on it.

DS: Logan 6/14/10 nocirc.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 PM

I recently made my own 'chinese food' with sweet and sour chicken and 'fried' brown rice. Pinterest recipe! I put mixed veggies in the rice with soy sauce and one egg, and just heated it all together in a skillet. THe chicken was a bit more intricate but my daughter went wild over it! She loved the rice and started to pick out bigger pieces of the chicken, but I just chopped it up a bit more finely and she continued to happily eat it. This is the recipe I went off of: http://www.life-in-the-lofthouse.com/2010/09/baked-sweet-and-sour-chicken-with-fried.html  (next time I will most likely lessen the sugar amount)

#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How's it goin? It's been a few months now... 
A lot of kids will eat anything if they can dip it in Ranch or ketchup or BBQ sauce... Casseroles and sauces are great for disguising meat and veggies too. 
How old is your kiddo? Sometimes when kids help prepare the food they're much more likely to want to eat it...

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#7 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 PM

My kids (including the picky toddler) like slow cooked pork (butt or shoulder). Cook it in the croc pot low all day with some chicken broth or water with salt, in in the oven around 275/300 for 3-5 hrs. Add some sliced onions on the bottom and throw in whole peeled garlic cloves midway, if possible. They will melt onto delicious sauce with the fat. We season with cumin coriander and sometimes fresh lime juice and pull it with forks when it's done.

They also love schnitzel, which is like "chicken fried" meat. We use chicken breasts and pork chops mostly. Pound the pieces flat with a meat hammer, salt then flour and (optional- then dip on beaten egg then breadcrumbs to make it schnitzel) and pan fry hit and quick. I then cut it in strips for toddler and cubes for the baby. Delicious.

Seasoned Taco meat (ground beef) with chips or rice

Roast chicken pieces with skin, especially wings and legs
#8 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Juniper loves meat that is flavoursome, like bite-size pieces of meat from chicken thighs and drumsticks, or bite-sized pieces cut from shoulder of lamb. I don't let her graze during playtime as it can stem her appetite. Her mealtimes are regular, knowing by the time she sits down she'll be well hungry. She already loves cheese and nibbles small bits of fresh fruit to go with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page