13 months old and need food suggestions.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone,

My 13 month old daughter is driving me crazy. I love her to pieces but she is nothing like her brother. My son walked at 9 months, talked at 6 months by one year was on the sippy cup walking talking telling me what he wanted for lunch. He's already a year a head if not more in school we have him with the pre-kindergarten class which he's not supposed to start until next school year. So he's always been advanced in everything...

My girl...She's average. Which is fine. She's done everything "on time" (roll over sit up etc). She didn't crawl right away. She's not walking yet. She cruises holding onto things and has taken like 12 steps at one time max. So she's getting there, but it seems like such a slow process with her. I do not enjoy the baby stage very much. I'll be honest. I love the toddler stage. I like the terrible twos when they are arguing with you. I enjoy the challenge. So I'm struggling. I'll admit. I'm struggling daily with my girl.

Any ideas on how to get her to take the sippy cup? She throws it. We have every different type of cup out there and she won't take to them.

Any suggestions on what to feed her? She'll eat stage two veggies and stage three fruits, but if I give her a banana and mush it up for her she gags. If I give her chicken or pizza or eggs or noodles or rice or anything that's "adult" food she spits it out. We are still doing four to six bottles (6 oz bottles) of formula a day. (I had to give formula. My boobs never made any milk. Happened with my son as well, so this time I was prepared.) Plus three feedings of baby food. She's sleeping through her morning bottle right now so I think today I'm going to skip it and try and give her an early lunch and see if she's hungrier if she'll take to the adult food. (Which I've done before but she's older now so I'm going to try again.)

She was also had colic as a baby which was pretty bad and she still randomly has screaming moments for no reason that we can tell, but it's not often and doesn't last long.

I'm so glad she was my second baby, because if she was my first I would of never done it again. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm sick of being stressed about this. I keep trying to tell myself she'll eat when she's ready. But I know if she eats more she will sleep through the night and I would love so much to not get up at night. She's taking one or two bottles every night and even though my husband feeds her I'm still awake.

Sorry for the rambling.

Thank you
~Melissa

~Melissa
I've got a son named Trenton born Sept 15th, 2009 and a daughter named Graelyn born November 27th, 2012. Plus three furbabies, Thomas the cat, Chester the rabbit, and Henry the dog.
#2 of 8 Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If it's a texture issue and she likes the foods pureed, you can take foods like sweet potato, green veggies, meat, avocado and puree them with water or milk so at least you are not buying jars of food.  There could be things going on where she has food sensitivities, so is deliberately limiting what she eats, but this could be a normal pattern of development for her.  You might want to check out the book "My Child Won't Eat" which I've heard good things about. 

#3 of 8 Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. When I puree the food myself she won't eat it. She likes her preprocessed foods. IDK. I'll check out the book.

~Melissa
I've got a son named Trenton born Sept 15th, 2009 and a daughter named Graelyn born November 27th, 2012. Plus three furbabies, Thomas the cat, Chester the rabbit, and Henry the dog.
#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Maybe they have a milder taste, or a more smooth texture.  

#5 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Hi Melissa,

It sounds as if she may be rejecting the food due to possible stomach upset.  You mentioned the colic, and continued occasional screaming - she may be having a challenging time digesting certain food.  Are you open to consulting with a natural health practitioner who can offer assistance with what foods to eat and natural remedies?  We consult with such a practitioner over the phone, and have gotten very helpful recommendations and results.  Her name is Nicole Tucker, her website is www.NicoleAngelaTucker.com.

All the best,

HHM

#6 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I keep trying to tell myself she'll eat when she's ready. But I know if she eats more she will sleep through the night and I would love so much to not get up at night. She's taking one or two bottles every night and even though my husband feeds her I'm still awake.

Sorry for the rambling.

Thank you
~Melissa

You should focus more on that first sentence, and forget the rest. She will eat when she's ready, and eating more solids isn't necessarily going to suddenly make her sleep through the night. Thinking that is just going to make your nights much harder to bear.

My youngest didn't sleep through the night until...well she still mostly doesn't. Starting her on solids didn't stop the night waking, night weaning didn't stop her from regularly waking, getting her into her own bed didn't stop her from regularly waking, and weaning entirely from the breast didn't do it either. The only thing that has changed night wakings has been time and maturity. She's now to the point where most night she sleeps through, some nights she wakes 1-3 times, and rare nights she wakes up a lot. She's currently 2.5.

My eldest stopped night waking a majority of nights between 1.5-2 years. She weaned from the breast at 1, and was mostly night weaned a few months before that.

Then some people who have babies who sleep through the night after a few months. They're all different.

I agree that investigating the possibility of food sensitivities isn't a bad idea.

#7 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Dia

She doesn't sound quite ready. I can hear your frustration, but I'd encourage you to please have patience with where she's at developmentally. This won't last.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#8 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Maybe try a GAPS approach to solids intro, in case it's a food intolerance/gut problem? Stop everything you're feeding now and start from the beginning if she's having tummy issues. Do freshly homemade as much as you can, the foods lose less nutrients, there's no additives, and it eases the transition to "real food". They say slowly over 10 weeks to go in this order, adding something new every few days and continuing the earlier stuff: homemade broth, veggie juice, well cooked veggies, boiled meats, natural plain yogurt, avocado, egg yolks, fruit puree, butter, nut butters (made into pancakes http://www.plantoeat.com/blog/2012/04/gaps-introduction-diet-week-4/), raw veggies, fermented veggies, scrambled egg, fresh fruit, cheese, bread. Watch for any sign of reactions with dairy, grains, certain fruits or veggies or from nuts and stop the offending food if you see any.

Hold the cup for her if she prefers that. My 12m old loves to turn his upside down and shake it to spill but he'll happily drink when I help him. Don't push too hard for independence, it's a proud but bittersweet moment each step they take away from needing/wanting us.

Tags
Raising Healthy Eaters 100 Tips For Parents , Just Take A Bite Easy Effective Answers To Food Aversions And Eating Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page