sneaking vegetables - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My oldest son is 2 and does not eat recognizable vegetables, unless they are carrots or sweet potato. He does like beans (legumes), pesto on noodles, and hummus. I mentioned this at the last visit to his doc and she suggested we "sneak" vegetables (that are green) into his food. Anyone have any really sneaky ideas for me? So far, we have tried sneaking finely chopped greens into quesadillas, which has worked, but I don't want to make this so dang much. I do give him a chewable vitamin, which keeps me from freaking out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure if you can still get in to watch the videos, but this coursera course about this has a lot of information (and it's free!):

https://class.coursera.org/childnutrition-002

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I purée carrots and put in Mac n cheese (Annie's) and cauliflower in mashed potatoes. I have a billet and it makes it easy! Kids start getting picky around this age but I found they are willing to start trying new things around 3 or 4. Also I hide purred veggies in pancakes and applesauce!

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Green smoothies with fruit? Serve baby greens salad and tell him he is a giraffe?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't call it sneaking, as my daughter is younger and does not actively dislike green vegetables...she just kind of pushes them aside and doesn't eat them, though without casting insult upon them.  I think she just doesn't like the texture of anything other than a minced green.  One thing I have been doing lately is buying a big container of baby spinach and throwing it into the food processor to finely chop, then adding this to soups and stews.  I also made a spinach pesto which I used as a topping for pizza yesterday:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/supereasy-vegan-popeye-pesto/

It was well liked by us all.  I used walnuts instead of almonds;  I think you could probably use any nut.

Edit:  Oh, and this is so much not "sneaking" for us that I actually have my daughter put the spinach in the food processor for me.  She loves doing it.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

pumpkin puree in mac n cheese? 

There are even a couple of books that have the same theme - sneaking veggies onto toddlers food. One by Jessica Seinfeld (Deceptively Delicious) and the other one that came before it.. (The sneaky chef) 

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 boys, 5 years old and under, and what we've found is that once we were able to introduce them to their regular daily intake of fruits & vegetables, they started to crave them more and more! It's getting them to that point that can be challenging, but the above mentioned suggestions are awesome!

Full disclosure: I'm a distributor for whole food chewables (not vitamins - but actual whole food) that we give our children everyday, and since starting them on it, they will actually CHOOSE carrots over pretzels or chips.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Sauces and soups are a pretty good place to put vegetables. I don't really consider that 'sneaking' vegetables, just because it's how we eat them as adults and if our child was old enough we'd involve him in food prep and be open about the veg being there, but technically the vegetables are hidden. This is a good option because I think sometimes the vegetables are too much fiber, and so having them cut up and well softened helps make them easier for little tummies to deal with. We're actually having the opposite problem- we do sauces so often and right now kiddo's on a finger-food kick, we have to figure out what to make!

Definitely try experimenting with textures/etc. When teething, kiddo would just munch on whole, uncooked veg now that the teething's lessened he definitely prefers steamed (or otherwise softened, like in soup/sauce). He's also on a finger food kick. Last night we tried giving him chicken soup, which he usually loves, he'd only eat the solid bits if we put them on his high chair as finger food. :|

One thing that may be worth a try is giving vegetables as the first, and separate, course for the whole family. That way your toddler will see everyone eating the vegetables, won't be distracted by the more familiar foods, and may be more willing to give a taste. Don't make it a "you can't have dinner until you eat your vegetables" deal, just offer it as the first course and when everyone's finished it, bring out the main course. You've offered him the same food as everyone else, and if he refuses to eat it you know he won't starve because you're bringing out the main course in a few minutes. It also may be good to try to do multiple vegetables with each meal (assuming you don't already)- that way it's more likely that your son will find one he's willing to eat.

If your child's old enough to understand this, one way for helping picky eaters try new foods, which I really like, is this: Put out a napkin/paper towel and a yummy drink and say "Try a bite. If you don't like the taste, you can spit it out and wash it away with your drink". It may not seem like a lot to you, but having to make themself swallow a disliked food can be a lot to ask a kid. Just keep that as the general rule- you have to try a bite of everything in front of you, but you can spit it out into the napkin if you don't like it- and keep offering whatever foods.

I'm very hesitant to force a child to eat foods they refuse to eat. That doesn't mean you can't keep offering it and finding ways to make it palatable, though.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

It's been a while since I started this thread but here are some things that seemed to work for us:

1. Shutting up about it. No asking for him to try anything.

2. Making pesto from different greens, not just basil, and serving it with crackers.

3. Planting carrots so that he can eventually pull them up and eat them himself.

4. Having him watch Daniel Tiger episodes about trying new foods/eating vegetables, but making NO comments whatsoever.

5. Reading the Tale of Peter Rabbit.

The last three alone had him eating carrots, salad (every time!), peas, and zucchini. Sometimes now I ask if he wants to try something, but "it's OK if you don't want to."
Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
KKsMomma gave some good advice.

One thing we did was to pretend take no notice of picky eating and give positive attention (at least to show you noticed) in response to healthy eating. Make sure your attention is reinforcing what you want rather than what you don't want.

Also, visit a farmer market with him, and get him involved in food prep.

We use to sneak veggies into chili con carne or vegetarian chili or tomato sauce, but that is for kids that like tomatoes.

Last edited by tadamsmar; 08-08-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKsMomma View Post
<p>My oldest son is 2 and does not eat recognizable vegetables, unless they are carrots or sweet potato. He does like beans (legumes), pesto on noodles, and hummus. I mentioned this at the last visit to his doc and she suggested we "sneak" vegetables (that are green) into his food. Anyone have any really sneaky ideas for me? So far, we have tried sneaking finely chopped greens into quesadillas, which has worked, but I don't want to make this so dang much. I do give him a chewable vitamin, which keeps me from freaking out.</p>
Soft cooked veggies in soups
muffins like spinach etc
repetition
Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 AM

My son (age 4) refuses to eat many veggies. He loved them as a baby and as a toddler but when he started going to daycare and he was the only one eating veggies he quickly stopped eating them. And now he seems to take issue with the texture of many veggies. Here's how I handle it for now:

- Blended veggies in soups, sauces, and smoothies
- Continue to offer veggies with meals but don't force him to eat it, just offer it
- Involve him in the cooking and preparation process
- Dips make many foods more fun to eat. You can even hide some blended veggies in some dips.
- Try lots of different flavors (I recently learned that my son will eat soft carrots when they're in coconut sauce but not in any other sauce).
- Salt. Most people - adults and kids alike - prefer salted veggies to unsalted veggies.

User Tag List